Help (im new) classic problems

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 06:12 PM
karlh
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help (im new) classic problems

hi all
i am very new to the scooby world and have just purchased my first 2000 turbo wagon (2 weeks ago) 1994 (m reg) uk car
i have been enjoying the car alot since getting her , especially the noise (stainless exhaust + centre decat but other than that its standard)
i have got a couple of problems though , (1st) check engine light keeps comming on and off as and when it feels like it ( there is no running problems with the car when the light comes on or off) which is beginning to get on my **** (2nd) for the first time today i really gave her some stick and i was not happy . when i get to about 5k ish revs she feels like she is loosing boost or power . ie very smooth and fast accelaration up to 5k and then seems to hesitate or hold back (almost as if i was braking slightly) the rest of the way up to redline.
when i got back home with the car i had a quick look under the bonnet and after having a play with the accelarator cable ie revving the car up slighty , i could hear a solenoid ticking next to the maf / airbox (left side , sitting on suspension turret)
now i have read many threads on this site and i think it is possibley MAF , COILPACKS / SPARK PLUGS.
what do you guys think ?
if it helps i dont know when any of the above where last changed (always helpful , i know)

Last edited by karlh; 15 October 2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 06:45 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi mate Iv had the same prob on a jap my94 wrx I think. When I bought the car back inJan the MAF was fcked so I replaced it. It doesnt always happen but sometimes its like I am losing power too. I have a boost guage fitted on my car and when this occurs i checked my guage and was still at full boost, but it feels like it aint sparking. So having ruled out MAF and loss of boost, Im just goin to replace the coil packs and see how it goes from there. Dunno if this will help ya at all but just thought I would throw in my tuppence worth.
Old 15 October 2006, 06:46 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

P.S forgot to say that I also replaced my plugs with iridium ones 2 months ago. It might be worth replacing plugs at same time as coil packs too.
Old 15 October 2006, 06:49 PM
karlh
Scooby Newbie

thanks for reply ,
i am thinking that it is probably the plugs and coilpacks but dont know how hard or easy they are to change and also how much it will cost.
Old 15 October 2006, 07:42 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if you get a check engine light (CEL) thenpower will sort of disapear around the 4k mark. Do a search on here for saxonfield on here, it is a site that tells you how to read the onboard diagnostics which will help you check for faults.
Old 15 October 2006, 10:29 PM
kildare scooby
Scooby Regular

the tickin noise u heard was the boost solenoid