Your comments please! RE- engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2006, 11:10 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your comments please! RE- engine mods

Greetings
I currently have an MY03 WRX doing a RR verified 268/266. And like everyone wanted more, well i have finally decided to go to Tracktive/Carnetix and get the sort of power i hope is acheivable.
I got the suspension sorted, not perfectly like AST's but to my liking, and i got the StopTechs on the front, so its engine time!
Keeping my Thundercat downpipe and the rest of my de-cat exhaust/ Ninja BB, i am going for:-
VF34 Turbo; Headers (ceramic coated); 550 Injectors; and to handle the extra oomph i am having an AP Organic clutch and a lightened flywheel too.

In all your humble opinions, and bearing in mind this will NOT be mapped to within an inch of its life, what should be an "easy" output with those mods?
I do of course have my own info and opinions but was hoping for someone who had similar mods to perhaps give me a clue?
Either way, i would like your opinions please.

I believe it will be a monster upgrade in respect to torque (compared to 266 ib/ft i mean), so i should have a nice daily driver with loads of oomph!
I cannae wait though, i am so impatient.

Richard Bulmar will map it again for me like he did last time.
I will post more after next Friday the 20th with my views! LOL.
Just FYI, i wont have any RR figures then they will come later.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:49 PM
moto
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert, but I've got a similar spec to you on my 2002 WRX and got 306bhp/293lb/ft.

STI Intercooler
APS Intercooler Splitter
Green Cotton Panel Filter
H & S Up Pipe
Magnex Unequal Headers
TSL Thundercat Downpipe
TSL Centre Section
H & S Jap Style Back Box
Walbro Fuel Pump
FSE Fuel Regulator
TD04 Hybrid (Turbo Andy F)
Remap (Andy F)

Mine was mapped in a similar fashion to you. Fast road, daily driver.
Maybe you'll get a bit more out of the VF34?? I went from standard to these mods and the difference was unreal! Hope you enjoy yours as much when it's done.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:53 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

That is a fairly similar spec for sure.
I kept going on about a different TMIC, but was told its not really necessary for what i am after power/torque wise.
Anyway, we shall see.
Ta for the comments.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:57 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Something else i meant to ask, does the EcuTek software, or something else they use on the old laptop give you theoretical power/torque figures? Or do you only get those readouts from a RR session?
Would be nice to have an idea what i actually get after next week before i get it RR'd.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:53 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

i had a very simular spec on mine and got about 320 / 320 on scooby clinic rollers running 1.3 bar boost

has your clutch started to slip already - if not I wouldn't bother with the AP untill yours has gone, im still on the std one

regards ECU TEC software, they have a tool called delta dash that can produce real time performance figures you will have to ask your mapper
Old 15 October 2006, 05:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Greetings
I currently have an MY03 WRX doing a RR verified 268/266. And like everyone wanted more, well i have finally decided to go to Tracktive/Carnetix and get the sort of power i hope is acheivable.
I got the suspension sorted, not perfectly like AST's but to my liking, and i got the StopTechs on the front, so its engine time!
Keeping my Thundercat downpipe and the rest of my de-cat exhaust/ Ninja BB, i am going for:-
VF34 Turbo; Headers (ceramic coated); 550 Injectors; and to handle the extra oomph i am having an AP Organic clutch and a lightened flywheel too.

In all your humble opinions, and bearing in mind this will NOT be mapped to within an inch of its life, what should be an "easy" output with those mods?
I do of course have my own info and opinions but was hoping for someone who had similar mods to perhaps give me a clue?
Either way, i would like your opinions please.

I believe it will be a monster upgrade in respect to torque (compared to 266 ib/ft i mean), so i should have a nice daily driver with loads of oomph!
I cannae wait though, i am so impatient.

Richard Bulmar will map it again for me like he did last time.
I will post more after next Friday the 20th with my views! LOL.
Just FYI, i wont have any RR figures then they will come later.
Are you also getting an uprated fuel pump mate- I would. I would also consider getting the headers ported, this will bring the turbo into play earlier and liberate more power.

If the cars a good un, would have thought you'd be looking at a comfortable 330bhp and similar torque. It will feel significantly stronger.

Delta dash will give you a good idea of the power output.

Ns04
Old 15 October 2006, 09:29 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

The clutch is being done under advice as i am having the headers changed and ceramic coated, and Richard Bulmar says with the torque of it all my standard clutch would probably slip as his own WRX's did when he did the same work to his car, i believe he too has an 03WRX with the same mods or nearly the same. So **** the expense, the clutch can be done too! LOL.
Then i am going at some point to the Clinic's rollers to see the output.
The fuel pump was done previously but thanks for the advice.
Old 16 October 2006, 10:02 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

You should see approx 340bhp from this.

I had a similar spec on My RB5
tubular manifold
full decat
uprated fuel pump
APS cold air feed
and VF34 mapped by richard.

Just be very careful with your gearbox.

I broke 2 in two weeks after mine was mapped.

Hence why I now have a six speed.
Old 16 October 2006, 11:08 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Yeah the gearbox is my worry too, but talking it through with Richard there have been a couple of ppl who are still on standard boxes, and then always ppl like yourself who get the other end of the deal too, so i have been warned so to speak about that. But again, like yourself and many others i hope i manage ok but if not it will just be added to my ever growing list of mods! Hahaha.

EDIT:- No offence intended here dazdavies, but are you kinda harsh on gear changes and stuff? And love launches? As i am a bit of a wuss with my gear changes and never launch, well, not never but have only done 3 in over 3 years. lol.

Last edited by MaDaSS; 16 October 2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 24 October 2006, 11:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Yeah the gearbox is my worry too, but talking it through with Richard there have been a couple of ppl who are still on standard boxes, and then always ppl like yourself who get the other end of the deal too, so i have been warned so to speak about that. But again, like yourself and many others i hope i manage ok but if not it will just be added to my ever growing list of mods! Hahaha.

EDIT:- No offence intended here dazdavies, but are you kinda harsh on gear changes and stuff? And love launches? As i am a bit of a wuss with my gear changes and never launch, well, not never but have only done 3 in over 3 years. lol.

No offence taken mate. I was a little harsh with my gear changes however after 3 standard 5 speed gearboxes were finally replaced with a six speed that has been rebuilt since first replacing the 5 speeds I have learnt the error of my ways.

If you are unfortunate enough to break a box I would seriously look at the six speed option. For a road car they are awesome.

For me its the best mod I have doen to my car and its made the car for me.

Hope that helps

Daz
Old 25 October 2006, 03:46 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

similar spec to the above and no probs with either the clutch or gearbox, but I try not too thrash the thing continuously just use the benefit of the additional torque
Old 25 October 2006, 04:06 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I am getting used to it a lot more now. Its just that everything happens higher up the rev range that threw me out a bit. Even thought it was not faster to start with. Weird feeling.
I am a number junkie though. If i had seen a sheet of paper with bhp and torque on it to start with, i would have walked away with a smile on my face like a city bakers halloween cake!
Old 25 October 2006, 05:26 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

you get used to comming out of a 30 limmit 3k revs and rising

and i thrash mine 90% of the time , but not into standing start stuff