Notices

Fitting the engine back in

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2006, 10:40 AM
steaxlefc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting the engine back in

Does anyone have any usefull tips trying to re-fit my classic engine back in to my classic MY00, prooving a total pig, trying to line up the engine with the gearbox but getting no-where, do i need to jack the gearbox up slightlyas i presume there should be a gap between the mounts and the gear box
Old 26 September 2006, 11:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes jack the front of the gearbox up..

align the clutch on the flywheel if you haven't already.. you can do it by hand.. once the engine is lined up with the box and the layshaft is going into the clutch put the box in 5th and slowly rotate the engine clockwise.. i tend to find you then hear a clong as the layshaft clicks correctly in to the spline on the clutch.. you need to have aligned the clutch fork etc..

If you are struggling to get it that close then try removing the headers as it allows more movement..

Also ignore the engine mounts to chassis and get the engine on the gearbox and then worry about the engine mounts lining up. . just watch your fingers when you do.. usually my engine sits about 1cm infront of the holes on the chassis rail.. last time I was in a rush so the engine mounts got hit with a hammer and the mount studs then just drops straight through.

All that currently comes to mind. . it is easy when you have it all lined up.. slightly out of alignment it can be a complete git.

Simon
Old 26 September 2006, 04:13 PM
steaxlefc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers jolly i'll try what you said , think i'll have a crate of beer on the go maybe it will help
Old 26 September 2006, 08:32 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best advise is to take your time and keep the engine just floating on the hoist with box jacked up as high as it will go.. just don't rush it and it takes no time.. start rushing and you'll get it misaligned etc..

Simon