Notices

Running Really Rough

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 06:44 PM
kirbz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Really Rough

The car is a type r sti5 and has been running really rough, i have been told its the MAF so i got another one and it did help but then the revs dropped and started hunting again?? when i had my old MAF on it did nothing when i unplugged it but the new one the revs really drop so i presume the new maf is OK.

What else could it be or do i need to do anything on the ecu or if anyone who lives close by can help it would be appreciated i live in skelmersdale (well my father in law does and its his car)

Many thanks
Mike

Last edited by kirbz; 18 September 2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 18 September 2006, 08:26 AM
kirbz
Scooby Newbie

????? anyone
Old 18 September 2006, 09:13 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Usually the ecu will correct the learned maf input faily quick, otherwise it could be a dodgy lamda sensor perhaps

have you done any diagnostics on the car ?
Old 18 September 2006, 01:20 PM
kirbz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
Usually the ecu will correct the learned maf input faily quick, otherwise it could be a dodgy lamda sensor perhaps

have you done any diagnostics on the car ?
Will get him to check the lamba sensor and poss change it.

I did send him the link on how to do the ECU check and he read it and i really dont think he will be able to do it!! on my nissan its easy lol you just turn a little dial on the side of the ecu one way then the other to put it in diagnostic mode!?

is there anything else it could be?

Mike
Old 18 September 2006, 01:33 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Checking the fault codes is pretty easy. You don't have to do a full reset. Just turn the ignition on, then connect the "read memory" connections and the CEL will flash the fault code list at you. Then disconnect the read memory connections.

The read memory connections are just a pair of spade connectors, one male, one female, with black plastic surrounds, under the dashboard just under the steering column.

However, I would recommend reading off the codes, resetting the ecu (which is the more involved process!) and re-reading the codes afterwards as some of the codes may be historical and no longer apply.

32 (three long flashes, two short flashes) would indicate a lambda sensor fault. Mine has just developed this, but it only registered the fault after an ecu reset. Continued half second flashes indicate no faults logged.