Notices

350BHP BUGEYE WRX

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 05:40 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350BHP BUGEYE WRX

i am looking for 350bhp in my 2001 wrx, i currently have, ppp, full 3" decat exhaust and downpipe, sti8 topmount,iriduim plugs, fuel pump, oil catch tank and k and n panel filter,i think im running about 270bhp the now, correct me if im wrong. what other mods would i need to take me to 350bhp.i was thinking:-

td05 18g
sti pink injectors
headers + up pipe
remap by andy f

what bhp do you think it would get with the above mods,would i need and induction kit or would i be able to get 350 with an uprated panel filter.

any help appreciated
Old 14 September 2006, 06:02 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

looks good to me

I think ninnybobs runs the same turbo and gets over 400bhp. Most seem to get around 370 ish

panel filter will be fine for 350bhp but if you do think you want an induction kit now is the time before a remap ( it will be louder)

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 14 September 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 14 September 2006, 06:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by grantyb
i am looking for 350bhp in my 2001 wrx, i currently have, ppp, full 3" decat exhaust and downpipe, sti8 topmount,iriduim plugs, fuel pump, oil catch tank and k and n panel filter,i think im running about 270bhp the now, correct me if im wrong. what other mods would i need to take me to 350bhp.i was thinking:-

td05 18g
sti pink injectors
headers + up pipe
remap by andy f

what bhp do you think it would get with the above mods,would i need and induction kit or would i be able to get 350 with an uprated panel filter.

any help appreciated
Yes, that would do it I'd suggest, you might also want to add a 3 port boost solenoid. Have you budgeted for a new gearbox, at that power level you shouldn't expect the std gearbox to hold for that long! Ditto the clutch, my money would be on that going first and pretty quickly unless you already have an uprated one.

Also, you'll need a knocklink if you've not already got one and have you considered uprating the brakes, maybe a few minor mods to the suspension?

Ns04
Old 14 September 2006, 06:07 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

got a knocklink and a set of defis on the way, suspension and brake mods soon aswell,

could you tell me what is the purpose of fitting a 3 port valve?

so you think it would make around 350 with the stated mods. thanks
Old 14 September 2006, 06:08 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

would i need a fuel pressure regulator, or will fuel pump and injectors do the job.
Old 14 September 2006, 06:10 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

there's a good number of bugeye owners running over 350bhp on the std box, with a little respect they seem to be holding up well.

few getting close to 400bhp... running away to touch some wood
Old 14 September 2006, 06:11 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grantyb
would i need a fuel pressure regulator, or will fuel pump and injectors do the job.
don't bother with the regulator on the newage cars
Old 14 September 2006, 06:19 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

if some are getting 370bhp with the td05 18g, would that mean i would get around 370bhp or were they running 370 with differnet mods. so there no need for an induction kit to run around 350bhp,
Old 14 September 2006, 06:36 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

allot of the guys are running front mounts and induction kits
talk to AndyF as im sure he's done allot of them
Old 14 September 2006, 06:50 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
there's a good number of bugeye owners running over 350bhp on the std box, with a little respect they seem to be holding up well.

few getting close to 400bhp... running away to touch some wood
and some over (less respect though)
Old 14 September 2006, 06:51 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

I'm running an APS Front Mount, Supersprint Headers and Up-pipe and a RCMS Induction Kit in addition to the TD05 18g turbo, injectors,FPR and pump, full 3" decat, Tek 3(BRD) and an AVCR (AndyF).

Also running 10pot brakes to help stop

Gearbox has held up (so far) with over 40k miles at 350+ bhp...... but I definately won't be suprised if one day it goes BANG.

Martin
Old 14 September 2006, 06:56 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
and some over (less respect though)
we believe it when we see the rolling road graph

not too soon though, give me time to save before you sicken me any more
Old 14 September 2006, 06:57 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

you mean you didnt believe the delta dash plot i posted? (shock)
Old 14 September 2006, 09:41 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

well i sent andy f an e-mail asking him what the best option would be, so i will post it up what he says, best let the experts deal with it...
Old 14 September 2006, 09:42 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

so what is your actual bhp figures ninnybob?
Old 14 September 2006, 11:36 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ninnybobs last BHP was 404 BHP if I remember right .....I have the "mirror image" of Ninnybobs car and am currently running about 360 BHP with almost identical mods with the same turbo

Both mapped by the same guy (Bob Rawle) but I can't get the same power without running into det problems. Just a lucky engine I guess Mine's in at RCMS for some methanol injection to play catch up....LOL

Shaun
Old 14 September 2006, 11:58 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

at 404bhp would that not be putting to much strain on the standard internals
Old 15 September 2006, 09:25 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

in an ideal world, yes, but it depends what your using the car for.....im not sure if martins(ninnybobs) is his daily driver or not.....
Old 15 September 2006, 09:40 AM
New_scooby_04

in an ideal world, yes, but it depends what your using the car for.....im not sure if martins(ninnybobs) is his daily driver or not.....
That was kind my point re. the gearbox; there are people running 350+ on the std box, but I'm guessing that 1) it's not always their daily driver 2) they have a contingency plan in case the box goes (i.e. a bit of money put aside); and they won't be surprised if it does

Ns04
Old 15 September 2006, 09:46 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

at the moment, my car is my daily driver, but that is changing from next week and i am very thankful for it, until this point i havent been able to save anything for a contingency plan, so i was very much winging it....

i think that gearboxes are one of those things that dont really give you any warning either....so you might think all is well and then BANG!. Mine is currently coping with around 420/430lbft but id be a fool if i expected it to last given what i do to it (i.e. time attacks and constant road use)
Old 15 September 2006, 10:11 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

you mean you didnt believe the delta dash plot i posted? (shock)
im not letting my self believe it .... it could cost me a lot of money , looks so good when you compare to mine

how are you finding it?
Old 15 September 2006, 10:19 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

its fine, just got a few niggles, andi think the headers to up pipe gasket is about to blow but it was pretty tired anyway when i fitted it as it was 2nd hand......other than that its very usable on the road

I dont think it would be that much different to yours though rich, i cant remember the torque on yours off hand but i should imagine that when it comes in it hits pretty hard no?

Last edited by Neilo; 15 September 2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:03 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

just got e-mail reply from andy f he said that with the td05 18g,550cc,header,up pipe, it should easily make over the 350bhp mark. he recomended me to get an aps cold air inducion kit to mantain steady temps around town driving and hot weather. do yous think i would be better with RCM`s induction kit instead of the aps as i heard people saying the become restrictive around the 350-400 range.

also when the gearbox goes what the best box to replace it with? what other boxs are they instead of the six speed sti box? how much do they cost?
Old 15 September 2006, 12:08 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

your gearbox options arent massive in number....basically its either a 6 speed as you say, or a PPG built 5 speed, neither is cheap, although the 6 speeder is the cheaper of the 2. Arond 2k fitted for the 6 speed and 2.5-2.7k for the PPG 5 speed fitted.

Should be fine with the APS kit, the RCM kit sits in the engine bay so if you went that route (which is have personally) then think of ways of keeping the heat down under there.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:20 PM
grantyb
Scooby Regular

so the aps kit that sits in the inner wing
Old 15 September 2006, 01:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep

It's the APS CAK that sits in the inner wing, I didn't fancy that Idea and went for the RCMS Induction with a home made heatshield and cold air from the foglamp

Ninnybob's car is also his daily driver and he does drag it as well. Mine is also a daily driver plus it does trips to ASDA and ferries the kids around if needed but I am fairly sympathetic most of the time. I had the clutch in my MR2 for about 15 years without a change..LOL

The contingency plan I have for my gearbox is an enterprise rental 1.2 Corsa Twinport

Shaun
Old 15 September 2006, 02:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Yep

The contingency plan I have for my gearbox is an enterprise rental 1.2 Corsa Twinport

Shaun
Nice!!! I've got some money aside just in case mine goes *and my car is "only" at 320 bhp and ft lbs with the "kinder" VF35 turbo. Basically, I think you have to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst! At lot of it does come down to how you drive the car.

BTW to the poster, I'm sure Andy already told you this, but I'd get the CAK intalled immediately before the map if you can cause the car will not run safely without a remap with this bit of kit. I believe it has something to do with the maf needing re-scaling.

Ns04
Old 15 September 2006, 02:33 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

yes it is maf rescaling thats the issue, ideally fit it on the day of the map when you get there....unless andy comes to you.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:41 PM
Scoobyfirsttime
Scooby Regular

I must be the most unlucky person in world I think (refer to thread Help my engine blew up)........!

I am only running 270bhp and yet my engine "died" around 5000miles later.....

I only ever used shell optimax and always let it warm up properly and cool down after use.

I wonder if there is something in having a "lucky" engine.

Thanks to Martin (ninnybobs) and a bit of luck i'll be sorted in about a week with an engine that has done 30k less miles than the old one........
Old 15 September 2006, 04:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scoobyfirsttime
I must be the most unlucky person in world I think (refer to thread Help my engine blew up)........!

I am only running 270bhp and yet my engine "died" around 5000miles later.....

I only ever used shell optimax and always let it warm up properly and cool down after use.

I wonder if there is something in having a "lucky" engine.

Thanks to Martin (ninnybobs) and a bit of luck i'll be sorted in about a week with an engine that has done 30k less miles than the old one........
Hi mate,

Just out of curiosity: have you had the engine stripped and the fault diagnosed yet? A WRX shouldn't ever let go at 270bhp, unless something is amiss with either a significant component, the user, or the mapping! If you claim you treat the car well, and have no reason to suspect it's been thrashed/neglected before you had it, then I'd be looking at the other two for explanations. Do you have a knocklink, if so, was there any activity before the car let go?

It may be worth getting your remapped ECU checked by someone with DET cans when the car is rebuilt, just in case there is a problem with the Map. Most mappers will happily do this for you for a nominal fee. Of course, a further map will cost you more.

All the best with it.

Ns04

Quick Reply: 350BHP BUGEYE WRX