source of vacuum for cruise ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2006, 10:25 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool source of vacuum for cruise ?

Hi there,

I'm considering fitting a universal cruise control kit to my WRX auto wagon, I do a lot of M.way miles these days & yes I realise it kinda goes against the whole idea of an impreza but dont want to change the car for something more sensible......

anyway most systems require a source of vacuum for the throttle control, where would be the best place to pick this up ? obviously stay away from the brake booster circuit for safety reasons, in a NA car I would just tap into any of the induction related pipework but I take it I cant do this with a turbo ( cause the vacuum turns into positive pressure on boost ) OK in most cases when cruising there is no boost & therefore it should work but what if you start to go up a hill & turbo starts to boost ?

SS
Old 14 September 2006, 08:17 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

surely someone else musta tried this ?..............
Old 14 September 2006, 08:21 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Before the turbo is never positive pressure though???? Ie - between the airbox and the turbo inlet, this will always be 'sucking' air in.
Old 14 September 2006, 08:33 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

good point nick, never thought of that...
Old 14 September 2006, 04:13 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I would think, depending on revs, you wouldn't have much of an issue since the cruise control system won't "full throttle" to achieve target speed, it will only lightly press the throttle.
However... if you are intending to "cruise" at illegal speeds, then there may be the possibility that the system could shut off cause of turbo spool up.

I say this cause i retrofitted an aftermarket cruise control system to my Uno Turbo i.e. back in '87 and worked fine until you reached speeds of around 80-90mph+ when if the speed dropped by x amount due to going up hill, it would spool up instantly and shut the system off. Anything below that and it worked fine. Remember this was on a car with the tiniest of turbos and spooled up as quick as you can get.