Hi all,

Thanks to Ralph of Milsport for his handy work and support I'd like to add
I've got a v4 STI Type R

The current set up of the car is as follows
Engine has been refreshed by API to inlcude:
Ported headers
Lighter fly wheel
STI 5 Turbo.
Since David has worked is magic I've had Milsport (Ralph) fit a fmic & induction kit

I'll soon book my car in for a Apexi PFC and remap but am now wondering what other things I should have done to make the car more efficient reliable so that I 'm not likely to need a remap again in the future.

I'm not after masses of power but good healthy torque. So?

More efficient turbo?
Fuel Pump?
Injectors?

Cheers

Esh
Old 11 September 2006, 01:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends what you would call healthy torque. I would fit an uprated pump anyway and maybe injectors but that depends on what levels of power you want. You could stick with your current injector setup and get an adjustbale regulator and run at a higher fuel presure to give the effect of larger capacity injectors, or you could upgrade the injectors and do the same thing that way. Depends on your budget and as I say where exactly you want to go.
Old 11 September 2006, 02:55 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud,

I'm not looking to comprimise reliability but if I'm going to spend cira £1000 for a new ecu and remap I want to ensure I'm gettin the most out of it. If it indeed means using a fuel regulator or better still injectors so be it.

In some respects this is an ongoing loop when modifying but to get best out of one mode you invariably will need another.

So back to my original question and thoughts...

I would like to increase the amount of torqure available to me.
As far as I know I still have the original fuel pump. Heading towards a remap what should I do so as not to comprimise reliability but acheive a better response from the car?
Old 11 September 2006, 03:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ESH
Cheers bud,

I'm not looking to comprimise reliability but if I'm going to spend cira £1000 for a new ecu and remap I want to ensure I'm gettin the most out of it. If it indeed means using a fuel regulator or better still injectors so be it.

In some respects this is an ongoing loop when modifying but to get best out of one mode you invariably will need another.

So back to my original question and thoughts...

I would like to increase the amount of torqure available to me.
As far as I know I still have the original fuel pump. Heading towards a remap what should I do so as not to comprimise reliability but acheive a better response from the car?
Your injectors should be fine for the turbo you have. I'd add a 3 port boost solenoid to your list if you haven't already, for better boost control. Get that Walbro fuel pump too. Do you have a knocklink installed, if not, I'd be getting one of those too.

I'm assuming you've already got a decat/sports cat exhaust? If not, that's really an essential mod to get the most out of your car!

You're driving off boost till you get the car properly set up aren't you?

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 11 September 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11 September 2006, 03:01 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

de cat exhaust system
Old 11 September 2006, 03:22 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Ns04.

Oops. No I'm not or haven't. For all intents and purposes for the little time I drive the car (usually in traffic communting to work) I'd say 95% off boost. Stll I get the impression that you are advising to not use boost till after the remap.

ScubbDoo I forgot to mention that I have a DeCat exhaust too. But thanks mate

I'll have to look into the boost solenoid. Is it much like the standard one under the bonnet and a like for ilke swap?

I'm not after boost controllers, knock links or anything that will stick out like a sore thumb on the imterior. I want the cabin to be free of these contraptions.

So yes to the fuel pump and I'll look at the boost solenoid.

Cheers
Old 11 September 2006, 04:29 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Just to add my 2p's worth...

I have a V4 TypeR and I think that year has a 3-port solenoid. Either way my mapper didn't have any problems with it. I have a full decat exhaust, walbro 255 ltr fuel pump and Power FC, other than that it's std.

On a 1.2 bar map, I got 322bhp (flywheel). However, my injectors are at 97% so there are clearly what's holding it back now.
Old 11 September 2006, 04:38 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rmtypeR

I have a V4 TypeR and I think that year has a 3-port solenoid. Either way my mapper didn't have any problems with it. I have a full decat exhaust, walbro 255 ltr fuel pump and Power FC, other than that it's std.

On a 1.2 bar map, I got 322bhp (flywheel). However, my injectors are at 97% so there are clearly what's holding it back now.
Where abouts in Herts mate. If close to North London come to our next meet.

Thanks all the same. I've called Milsport to discuss this afternoon and it was also suggested that at 325 bhp plus we would be at 95% of the injector duty cycle. What a money pit these can be. Still boys toys an all.

Esh
Old 11 September 2006, 05:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you can reduce the injector duty though by upping the fuel pressure, swings and roundabouts.
The question what you need to ask yourself is are you going to stop when you have done what you plan to do. If you plan to go further, then you are better overspeccing at the begining.

Bigger injectors and a power fc and remap will get you close to 350bhp with the mods you have. You will not believe it is the same car. Alternatively you could just get the power fc for what you have now and I would imagine that you would have a safe 300bhp to play with.
Old 11 September 2006, 05:11 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
you can reduce the injector duty though by upping the fuel pressure, swings and roundabouts.
The question what you need to ask yourself is are you going to stop when you have done what you plan to do. If you plan to go further, then you are better overspeccing at the begining.

Bigger injectors and a power fc and remap will get you close to 350bhp with the mods you have. You will not believe it is the same car. Alternatively you could just get the power fc for what you have now and I would imagine that you would have a safe 300bhp to play with.
Thanks for that Jay,

I've a tandard clutch so its not going to like 350ish bhp let alone more than 330.

Considering the car started off with about 276ish bhp I'd be happy with 310-20 all in.
Old 11 September 2006, 05:48 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ESH

Ns04.

Oops. No I'm not or haven't. For all intents and purposes for the little time I drive the car (usually in traffic communting to work) I'd say 95% off boost. Stll I get the impression that you are advising to not use boost till after the remap.

Cheers
Seriously mate, do not drive that car on boost, not least till you've had the AFR checked and someone with det cans to listen to it! I'm not too familiar with the JDM spec cars, but I believe the V4 runs a fairly agressive map that's not too happy on UK SUL as std (are you using Octane booster?), and you've made all kinds of changes to get more air into the car (decat, bigger turbo etc). There is a very real chance you might be runnig dangerously lean and be a few prods of the throttle away from rebuild city!!

My advice would be to get that car to a mapper ASAP and in the meantime make sure you use SUL an OB and drive gently!!

Better safe than sorry to the power of 3 grand!

Ns04

BTW how far is your work away from home, if its less than 10 miles, you shouldn't really be using boost in a fully set up car, as the oil can take this long to warm up.
Old 11 September 2006, 05:54 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Agree. My sti 440cc injectors maxed out as well at a little over 300bhp.

You'll almost certainly have to upgrade these.

Dave

Originally Posted by rmtypeR

Old 11 September 2006, 06:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Daveo
Agree. My sti 440cc injectors maxed out as well at a little over 300bhp.

You'll almost certainly have to upgrade these.

Dave
I didn't get a IDC figure from Bob when he mapped mine, but my MY99 UK develops 319bhp and Bob did indicate that the injectors had more to give. They are also 440s I believe. My understanding is that the 440s should be ok for the VF28.

Ns04
Old 11 September 2006, 07:03 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I reckon I am kicking out aout 260 - 270 (small vf10 turbo for the time being) and I have plenty left in my 380cc injectors (over 20%)
Old 11 September 2006, 07:10 PM
N P
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a v4 type r with the following mods
high pressure oil pump, apexi air filter, walbro 255 fuel pump, sx fuel reg, hybrid front mount intercooler, Harveys option 2 ported headers and uppipe,
3'' exhaust system (decatted) , Gems ecu mapped by steve simpson at Teg sport, at the moment trying a MD 321s turbo but still on standard pistons and 440 injectors @1.3 bar boost these maxed out at 370.1 bhp with 311 Ib ft torque. at scooby shoot out this year and my very first attempt i did a 12.9 1/4 mile running 1.2 bar 359 bhp.
Old 12 September 2006, 11:24 AM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Default Fitted a FMIC but what next?

Hi, I would purchase a walbru fuel pump 255l/hr to be on the safe side and a Apexi boost solenoid to go with the Apexi FC as this will allow you to increase to boost to above 1 bar. Avc-r would be an option so you could stage your boost in depending what gear. Say 1bar 1st and 2nd and 1.3 bar for 3rd gear onwards, this would protect your gearbox a little more from the extra torque in low gears and allowing for full torque to come in whilst traveling faster in higher gears. A ninja fast flow down pipe and decat centre section exhaust would help spool up as well and should pass the MOT.

Last edited by bluerigster; 12 September 2006 at 11:27 AM.