smokie turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2006, 12:36 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool smokie turbo

Hi there,

For all of you out there with smokie turbos, especially on tickover after a long "hot" run who have been thinking about new turbo's seal kits etc.. try changing your oil for a 15w40 Castrol "high milage engine" version, I've just done this & from big plumes of white smoke ( almost a smoke screen ! ) to nothing at all ( has taken a couple of hundred miles for the change though )

hell of a lot cheaper than a new turbo !

obviously wont work in all cases, & it could be a temporary fix but it appears to have saved me a fortune !!

SS
Old 06 September 2006, 02:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if there was a problem causing the smoke then you are just hiding the problem. The problem will still be there.

How are your engine temps // water levels??
Old 06 September 2006, 02:25 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

temps & water levels normal ( no change for at least a couple of years on the water level front ) for a bit of background pretty sure smoke was as a result of turbo oil-compressor side seal deterioration/failure.

White smoke, recent ECU remap to increase boost ( ), IC significant oil deposits, decat DP etc..

tried cleaning IC with TRIclean electrical cleaner & retrying, took about 100miles to start smoking again, checked IC more oil deposits, have recleaned IC & changed oil, now no signs of smoking, seams pretty conclusive to me.....

perhaps the slightly heavier oil ( 15w40 instead of 10w40 ) is sufficently "thick" not to pass by the turbo seal, I believe its metal to metal here so the "seal rejuvenating" additives of the oil probably are not involved.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause oil burning in these conditions would be valve stem seal leakage but this wouldn't leave oil in my IC.
Old 06 September 2006, 02:51 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

what oil was you using beforehand?
Fair play to you if everything seems okay. If you had recently filled with oil then possibly overfilled slightly which could contaminate the breathers and leave oily deposits in the IC. I have oily deposits in my IC but no smoke from the rear.
Old 06 September 2006, 03:24 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

I was using BP visco 3000 10w40 semi synth ( possibly fully synth not too sure ) used to get it "free" from work, interesting idea about the breather tubes, how could oil make its way back to the IC from these ?

like I said might just be a temporary "hide the problem" but for me thats good enough for now & hopefully it'll be good enough for my MOT tester in a months time !!

SS