Notices

ECU Replacment (MINES ARGH)

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2006, 01:01 PM
wrxadz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Replacment (MINES ARGH)

i have just discoverd i have the dreaded MINES ecu on my my93 WRX its had a missfire at about 4k since i got it and it runs realy lumpy when cold or wet, i have ran the car on optimax since i got it and have only just discoverd the ecu and i thought great mappable ecu, but then thanx to this forum i not only found out it isnt mappable but the reason for loads of imports going bang.

my question is this could i replace the ecu with a W6 one that is on ebay mine is U8 i think they are both four plug and the one on ebay is from an import 92 wrx i appologise if im not making sense but im not to good with scoobys just yet.

could this MINES ecu realy be the cause of all my problems and happy scoob ownership is just an ecu swap away , any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanx Adam

sorry forgot to ask is there any other ecu's i can swap to eg sti or uk turbo etc

Last edited by wrxadz; 03 September 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03 September 2006, 03:06 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds more like a faulty coil pack, but a set of these is going to cost you £220 if you can't isolate it to 1 coil and end up replacing all 4 (which is advisable).

You can swap the ECU for a W6 yes, the W6 came from a pre sept 1994 WRX, just like the U8 or 2C.
It will only run 11.47psi though, which is probably a fair bit less then the Mines.

don't bank on it solving your problems as you may have a failing coil pack. the lower boost may make you think you have solved it. But once you crank the boost up again, it may re-appear.