Notices

OIL smell no leaks at all or smoke from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2006, 10:17 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL smell no leaks at all or smoke from engine area

Hi all . I have a 93wrx which been fully rebuilt and done 2000miles and all is good running wise. I keep pulling up to junctions or traffic lights with the windows down and a oil smell is present for a very short while . Now there is no smoke from exhaust at idle or very little when pulling away or on over run. i've had it up on the ramp and there is no leak from the rocker gasket at all bone dry and the front main is to. The only thing i can think is the turbo is still original . Covered about 80k and come through a blown engine caused by det and maybe abit worn because of ? Has anyone had this fault where it wasn't the usual?and was the turbo? Also there is some soot over the rear end of the car with bigger black spots ish . Which on other vehicles has been a consumption problem .i.e rings or turbo. but my engine isn't breathing there no oil at the dump valve at all!
Old 01 September 2006, 12:13 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a common problem, usually caused by a small leak from one of your cam covers. The rubber gasket material and half moons get hard or perish in time resulting in a small oil leak. Oil drips on to the hot exhaust heat shield resulting in a puff of smoke hence the reason for no evidence.
The problem is more an annoyance than a serious fault but can be rectified fairly easily.
Old 01 September 2006, 07:56 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Trust me there is no leak from the rocker covers there bonded on with nissan block sealant. To be honest ill be suprised if they eva come back off!so it ain't that!
Old 01 September 2006, 10:17 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Dont know for sure, I had similar prob with previous car,was a cracked crankcase ventilation pipe.
Old 01 September 2006, 12:53 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Just had it back up on the ramp and found the back of the inlet side of the turbo is damp with oil the unions are fine and the oil drain is tight and oil free???? oh well at least i know! also yes the crankcase breather does seem to be weeping slightly most be a factor to ! Ill buy new ones! thanks