Notices

Leaking from back of engine - remove engine or gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2006, 01:43 PM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking from back of engine - remove engine or gearbox?

I have a huge oil leak coming from between the block and the gearbox, only when engine is running though, assume its the seal or something behind the clutch, no clutch slip though.

Does this require the engine to come out or is it easier to remove the gearbox? I can get the car up on ramps to get enough space and I've got a grpN gearbox mount to fit anyway, is this possible or does engine have to come out?

Cheers.

ps as long as there is enough oil according to dip stick, is it ok the run with an oil leak, I must be loosing oil pressure, but if I'm easy with it, or should I not drive?
Old 28 August 2006, 10:03 PM
dan druff
Scooby Newbie

it sounds like rear main seal is leaking,gearbox is relatively easy to remove when on a ramp.
advise to do asap as you will probably find oil being sprayed in box bellhousing
over the clutch.also engine is losing oil and you will be depriving the engine of lubricant

also make sure you check where leaks coming from ,you wouldnt want to remove a major drivetrain component for no reason.

cheers

dan
Old 29 August 2006, 08:43 AM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

If the gearbox is easy to remove, then I'll do it that way, don't want to take engine out again if possible. The leak is definately coming from the join between the gearbox and block, is there anything else that could be causing the problem, like to much pressure? It only leaks when engine is running.

Also, if the clutch has any oil on it, is that it done, its not slipping at the moment and its only done 500miles.

Cheers.