Notices

Power upgrade wanted. Advice requested.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2006, 08:46 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power upgrade wanted. Advice requested.

Okay guys, I've just had my car on the rollers today and I'm fed up. It's an STi 4 Type R but it only made 270bhp and about 200lbft torque!

I'm looking for about 320-330 bhp and a decent amount of torque and I'm looking for advice on how to acheive that. I don't want to spend vast quantities of money, but only what I need to in order to acheive my aim.

I'm sure I need to replace the old Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU for a PowerFC and get it mapped properly which I hope will get me much better performance, but I'm wondering what other mods I might need as well.

Current engine-related mods are:
Dastek Unichip ECU (not mapped for current engine, but running safe. 15.5psi boost)
Engine rebuilt in October last year with Type RA block
Polished, ported heads
Pipercross induction kit (with standard air feed, but with bonnet scoop for cold air)
Walbro Fuel Pump
IC Tilt Kit
Magnacor 8.5mm HT leads
De-cat 2.5" exhaust
Forge VTA dump valve
Full gauge install with knocklink

Any advice????
Old 25 August 2006, 09:08 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dastek Unichip ECU (not mapped for current engine, but running safe. 15.5psi boost)
You cannot expect your car to perform if it has an ECU that is not mapped for that particular engine.................. and that is just the starting point.
Old 25 August 2006, 09:23 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

200lbft seems a really low figure on that car, especially with that spec.Did'nt the R/R operator comment on that figure? Surely your engine not reaching its full potential with those figures.He must have advised you regarding the current map your running your engine could be ready for melt down mate id keep an eye on that knocklink.
Old 25 August 2006, 10:01 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
You cannot expect your car to perform if it has an ECU that is not mapped for that particular engine.................. and that is just the starting point.
I agree. I bought the car in February. I wanted to get the Dastek mapped but having phoned around a month or 2 ago, nobody does them anymore so I contented myself with checking that it was safe via a rolling road test. That was to support the AFR gauge which showed it was running rich under boost and the knocklink is quiet, even though set to maximum sensitivity.

I have no question that I need to get an ECU properly mapped. That is why it is taken as read that I need to ditch the Dastek and get a PowerFC. Making the assumption that I will do, please continue from your starting point.

Would you, for instance, recommend I do nothing else until I have changed the ECU and had it mapped?
Old 25 August 2006, 10:04 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutz
200lbft seems a really low figure on that car, especially with that spec.Did'nt the R/R operator comment on that figure? Surely your engine not reaching its full potential with those figures.He must have advised you regarding the current map your running your engine could be ready for melt down mate id keep an eye on that knocklink.
Yup. I was shocked by the torque figure, but having asked what peak power was when I collected the car, I didn't look at the rolling road printout until later (when I got home this evening). They didn't mention it to me specifically.
Old 25 August 2006, 10:31 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Dont expect you to name the garage mate but i would'nt use them for future modifications as i think it should have been pointed out to you your engines not in the greatest state of tune. It seems they strapped your car on the rollers gave you your printout & took your money. As regards future mods i would start with the map have a word with BR Developments or Andy Forrest there highly respected & Recommended in scoobyland and should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 25 August 2006, 10:56 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutz
Dont expect you to name the garage mate but i would'nt use them for future modifications as i think it should have been pointed out to you your engines not in the greatest state of tune. It seems they strapped your car on the rollers gave you your printout & took your money. As regards future mods i would start with the map have a word with BR Developments or Andy Forrest there highly respected & Recommended in scoobyland and should be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've heard of Andy Forrest and BR developments.

As for where the car went, I don't have a high regard for them. They're fooking expensive and are not highly regarded in the community. The only reason I went there is because they are local and the car was going to them anyway to get it through the MoT (it needs a cat pipe putting in, which I do not have).

David

Trending Topics

Old 26 August 2006, 02:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dastek are at Dalgety Bay, Fife and will map your car on their excellent rollers.
Monday is not a holiday in Scotland so you can get them then. They will also tell you who their agents or mappers are for your area.
Look for their web site or e-mail them paul.wilkins@dastek.co.uk

Just because there is no knock link activity does not mean all is OK. eg, is it too rich or so rich you are bore washing or diluting your oil with petrol?