Notices

apologies for the stupidity...

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 08:15 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apologies for the stupidity...

im still relatively new to driving (5 months!)

erm, one of my brake lights has gone...

ive tried a search and nothing of much use came up.

whats the easiest way to change the bulb and any idea on a part numer or is it universal. i darent try anything until ive gotton some advice as id to be able to do little jobs like these myself...

im looking basically for a "how to" on this one peoples,

cheers... andy
Old 18 August 2006, 08:28 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

best bet is to drive to halfords. Remove the bulb (its a bayonet fitting I think so just a gentle press down on it and turn) Go into shop with said bulb and get a replacement. (Halfords also have a catalogue which will tell you which bulb you need, get the part number and then compare that to the bulb you took out)
Insert new bulb, try not to touch the tip of the bulb with your fingers, instead use a clean cloth or tissue and insert it back in.
Job done
Old 18 August 2006, 08:30 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
best bet is to drive to halfords. Remove the bulb (its a bayonet fitting I think so just a gentle press down on it and turn) Go into shop with said bulb and get a replacement. (Halfords also have a catalogue which will tell you which bulb you need, get the part number and then compare that to the bulb you took out)
Insert new bulb, try not to touch the tip of the bulb with your fingers, instead use a clean cloth or tissue and insert it back in.
Job done
so not loads of bolts to mess with then mate. sorry but "bayonet"?? whats that mate? as said before knowlegde is arising slowly as is spelling...
Old 18 August 2006, 11:58 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

bayonet in bulb speak just means there is no thread on the bulb, just has a little sort of thing that sticks out slightly so when you insert the bulb, you gently press down and turn and release and the sticky out thing (bayonet) holds it firmly in place.

So, open your boot, then you will need to remove the access cover (just turn a few plastic things to release the cover) and you should then be able to work out what to do. Sorry I cant explain it in more detail but its been a while since I have been in my boot changing a bulb!
Old 18 August 2006, 03:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
bayonet in bulb speak just means there is no thread on the bulb, just has a little sort of thing that sticks out slightly so when you insert the bulb, you gently press down and turn and release and the sticky out thing (bayonet) holds it firmly in place.

So, open your boot, then you will need to remove the access cover (just turn a few plastic things to release the cover) and you should then be able to work out what to do. Sorry I cant explain it in more detail but its been a while since I have been in my boot changing a bulb!
much appreciated anyway mate. il have a pop asap and see what happens to my hands!

andy
Old 18 August 2006, 03:56 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

I think changing the rear bulbs in most cars is one of them jobs most people can do