Notices

please help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 03:14 PM
scoobytree
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help me!!

ive got a 97 wrx with a w6 model ecu,but im lookin for another one.can any one tell me how many pins my ecu is?and whether any other model ecu's will go in my car ok?
Old 04 August 2006, 09:00 PM
scoobykevuk
Scooby Regular

urs is a 3pin mate,did it get covered in water????
Old 05 August 2006, 03:05 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the ECU has more than 3 pins! Perhaps it has three plugs, but the W6 designation was assigned to MY93 WRX and so would suggest it has four plugs. 1997 is one of those odd years where you just can't be sure what is going on. If your engine has ignition leads then it'll be a three plug ECU, if you don't then it'll be a four plug ECU.

Pin wise, there are 26 in the largest plug, 22 in the next smaller, then 16, and finally there'll be 12 in the last plug on the 4-plug ECU. *DO NOT* try to plug the three plugs of an MY97 car into an early ECU or three of the four plugs of an early car into a three plug ECU. It may sound daft but I've seen people do it and blow ECUs in the process! The plugs fit, but use some common sense, if there's more plugs then there are sockets or vice versa then you've got the wrong ECU!

You could check your chassis code to see if the MY97 is a mis-registration; it should be either GC8D48D or GC8E48D if it was made in 1997, but the ECU should be in something with a code more like GC8A48D or GC8B48D.

If it is an early 4 plug ECU then you're in luck because it's trivial to put W6 code onto any early ECU, you don't need to find another W6 as such. If it's a three plug ECU then the cheapest option is to find another one of the same type, it's much more expensive (but still possible) to put Jap WRX code onto any three plug ECU....

Cheers,

Pat.