Notices

Mechanical Buying Advice For A Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 10:13 PM
Ash512
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Buying Advice For A Subaru

Im going to be looking at a 1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo with 85k miles on her. I have basic mechanical knowledge. What do I need to look for/do so that I dont end up with a munter.

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks,

Ash
Old 03 August 2006, 10:27 PM
Ash512
Scooby Regular

anyone? All points appricated no matter how basic as I said my mechanical knowledge is VERY basic.

Thanks,

Ash
Old 03 August 2006, 11:43 PM
chrisd_my00
Scooby Newbie

Bought a my00 in March with 75k on and here's what needed sorting on mine.

Radiator - Core was breaking away. Check for green/blue discolouration on the back radiator fins. Replacement will be around £200 fitted.

Exhaust heat shields were corroded - rattle sound when starting/stopping engine. Shields can be removed if they haven't already been replaced with decat pipes.

Other than that just wear and tear (discs pads etc). If it has 85k on it, it will be due a cambelt change at 90k and expect to pay £300-£350 for a cambelt service.

Good Luck
Old 09 August 2006, 09:09 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

I would get the maf sensor replaced m8, mine was fubared on my99 with 55000 on it.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:32 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

As below and also check for smokie / noisy turbo - if they have been thrashed and not cooled properly before switching off engine they can be tired by 85K. Check any car hasn't been pre warmed when you go and have a look / test drive.

REALLY helpful if you can get a friend to follow you to check any smoke in the exhaust.

Check documented evidence of oil changes - really important.

Do not be frightened off by modified cars, but try and get clued up on whats worthwhile and whats 'chav' / boyracer, and avoid the latter. If the car's had more money spent on a dump valve and crystal lights than fresh good quality oil leave it alone.

I got mine with 70K on it, standard UK car, I've had to change the clutch - and at the miles your looking at this is on the cards, although you may get away with 120K if its been driven by a Granny for motorway miles.

I've also had to change the radiator, the problem on mine was the plastic tank on the side rather than the core, but it happens.

Also I had to have a wheel bearing changed, front passenger side, I don't think this is common, I suspect my car lived life in Milton Keynes for a while as this is the roundabout wheel.

Apart from that I've only had to do standard maintenance and I've got 113K on the closk now.

Minor oil leaks are common, from cam cover gaskets on both sides of the engine and front crank oil seal. Don't be put off by these either - 'its a feature sir'. Common at this age and not too much to worry about, can make town driving a little smelly but puddles of oil on the drive and walk away.

Best of luck and enjoy - a good one should be pretty reliable.
Old 24 August 2006, 01:42 AM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Hi, am also looking at buying a 1998 uk turbo this week with 90k on the clock, how many miles do the engines normaly last for before needing a rebuild? and how much would one cost? cheers! i know it depends on how its been driven/looked after but on average what does it tend to be?

My cosworth lasted just over 100k before blowing up, hope these last a bit longer LoL
Old 24 August 2006, 08:25 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go thinking they last the same as Legacies. My engine needed a rebuild at 110k.

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2006, 08:11 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Hmmm something to think about then, cheers pal best look around for one with less miles instead, how much is a full build, around the 3k mark?