Notices

Newage Sport cat downpipe question???

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 01:54 PM
the trooper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Sport cat downpipe question???

hi,
if you invest in a sport cat down pipe, does this mean you can take out the middle cat?? and still pass an MOT or does the middle cat still need to be in place??

any info on this cat stuff would be much appreciated
Old 31 July 2006, 02:00 PM
Pars
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmm there had better be some MOT / convenience benefit in going for a sports cat dp... I just looked at the regular decat option and it is only just over half the price of the sports cat dp I have ordered my classic WRX
Old 31 July 2006, 02:11 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The STi PPP will ony have the sports cat installed and is designed to pass its MOT.

Nick
Old 31 July 2006, 02:22 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

From what I've read, you'll need a remap too, if you swap the D/P on a newage.....(obviously this comes with the PPP too)

Mark
Old 31 July 2006, 02:55 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the trooper
hi,
if you invest in a sport cat down pipe, does this mean you can take out the middle cat?? and still pass an MOT or does the middle cat still need to be in place??

any info on this cat stuff would be much appreciated
The answer is yes - the car should pass the MOT easily. I have a TSL Sports Cat DP, with decat centre (+ resonator pipe replaced) and with decat up-pipe. My car recently sailed through the MOT - no problems at all.

As Mark has quoted, the car will ideally need a remap following decatting of centre sections / up-pipe. Not sure if it is needed if you simply change the DP for a Sports Cat though? I had mine all changed then remapped.
Old 31 July 2006, 02:57 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
From what I've read, you'll need a remap too, if you swap the D/P on a newage.....(obviously this comes with the PPP too)

Mark
Mark,

Could be wrong here, but I think the Sports Cat DP only comes with the Newage STi PPP. Don't think the Newage WRX PPP incorporates a Sports Cat DP - but I will stand being corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 31 July 2006, 03:45 PM
the trooper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Palmo
The answer is yes - the car should pass the MOT easily. I have a TSL Sports Cat DP, with decat centre (+ resonator pipe replaced) and with decat up-pipe. My car recently sailed through the MOT - no problems at all.

As Mark has quoted, the car will ideally need a remap following decatting of centre sections / up-pipe. Not sure if it is needed if you simply change the DP for a Sports Cat though? I had mine all changed then remapped.
how much noise do you get in the car with the middle cat taken out?? i have a hayward & scott full flow middle cat and was hoping to get good flow with a sports cat added and with the middle cat in place a bit less noise.

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2006, 04:26 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Do you still have the original long centre section with resonator?
If so then removing your sports cat centre section won't much more noise.
It seems a little overkill to add the d/pipe sports cat to your existing one - you should be able to pass the MOT as your exhaust stands at the moment?

Nick
Old 31 July 2006, 05:13 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Martin - that's useful to know - I actually meant that the PPP gives a remap, but I take your point also.

It would be interesting to know if the newage STI NEEDS a remap following a sports cat swap, rather than a decat swap.

When I had my classic, I fitted the decat D/P without a map and had no worries - obviously the map takes full account of that and is, therefore, beneficial, but not absolutely necessary. (i.e. you can decat a classic and then have the map done several months later and get 2 power hikes)

If the sports cat requires an 'instant' remap, then its a matter of fitting it within a few days of the mapping. When I fitted the TD05, fuel pump/regulator and 550 injectors to my classic, I spent 2 weeks driving round off boost, including the trip to Edinburgh to see AndyF. I thought that the D/P on a newage would be the same, but I'd be glad of any views from anyone in the know.....

Mark
Old 31 July 2006, 05:40 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the trooper
how much noise do you get in the car with the middle cat taken out?? i have a hayward & scott full flow middle cat and was hoping to get good flow with a sports cat added and with the middle cat in place a bit less noise.
Difficult to answer this with your set-up, but I will outline my experiences. When I got my car (MY02 WRX) it had the standard system except for the backbox - which to this day I do not know the make (no markings) other than it is of excellent quality and medium in terms of noise (suspect it's a Mongoose).

I then changed the centre sections - i.e. decat and resonator bypass. This did increase noise but only marginally - I had feared that this would cause an unbearable drone at motorway speeds - not the case.

I then had the Sports Cat downpipe and decat up-pipe fitted (as part of many other mods). This has resulted in a noticable increase in noise - but still quite reasonable - again quite acceptable at motorway speeds. When revving the car hard I can now hear a much freeer flowing noise which I think must be coming from either the DP or Up-pipe or both.

In answer to your question I think it is the up-pipe and DP that probably makes the most differnece in terms of noise (as well as performance) - obviously excluding the backbox - certainly in my experience it has been. When driven normally in urban areas it is still pretty quiet.

I went to TOTB this weekend, and listening to some Scooby's whilst queing to leave, proved mine is very quiet by comparison - under low revs anyway!
Old 31 July 2006, 05:45 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

palmo..

which sports cat downpipe have you fitted.
Old 31 July 2006, 06:06 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Martin - that's useful to know - I actually meant that the PPP gives a remap, but I take your point also.

It would be interesting to know if the newage STI NEEDS a remap following a sports cat swap, rather than a decat swap.

When I had my classic, I fitted the decat D/P without a map and had no worries - obviously the map takes full account of that and is, therefore, beneficial, but not absolutely necessary. (i.e. you can decat a classic and then have the map done several months later and get 2 power hikes)

If the sports cat requires an 'instant' remap, then its a matter of fitting it within a few days of the mapping. When I fitted the TD05, fuel pump/regulator and 550 injectors to my classic, I spent 2 weeks driving round off boost, including the trip to Edinburgh to see AndyF. I thought that the D/P on a newage would be the same, but I'd be glad of any views from anyone in the know.....

Mark
I reckon swapping the standard cat for a sports cat will not immediately require a remap but would be necessary to realise full potential and for peace of mind - someone else maybe able to confirm?

I can speak from experience with a friend - fitting a decat DP without remap brings on the CEL within 50 miles or so as there is a sensor in the pipe below. This can be fixed with a crude diode / CEL FIX I believe, but in relaity would need remapping to realise full potential and again for peace of mind.

I reckon a Sports Cat is the way to go rather than a full decat DP - marginal bhp loss but with advantage of legal emissions - equals less hassle at MOT time and if stopped for roadside check.
Old 31 July 2006, 06:08 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
palmo..

which sports cat downpipe have you fitted.
TSL Sports Cat - seems to be a very good quality piece of kit. My only gripe is that I paid considerably more than they cost now as TSL have reduced the price on these since I bought mine about 18 months ago!
Old 31 July 2006, 06:48 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Palmo
TSL Sports Cat - seems to be a very good quality piece of kit. My only gripe is that I paid considerably more than they cost now as TSL have reduced the price on these since I bought mine about 18 months ago!
Unfortunatley that may be the current cheap Chinese copies effect hitting many areas of engineering at the moment.
You either lower your prices or lose out on sales to them.

Nick