Notices

Done I/C tilt mod, now I/C seems hotter than before??

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2006, 01:05 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Done I/C tilt mod, now I/C seems hotter than before??

Recently raised and tilted the intercooler on my STi5, I know on instructions it says to raise it on the turbo size by 13mm, which I did, but on other side it says to raise it 21mm which I couldnt do as it fouled the strut brace, so I only raised it 14mm. It all looks level and when the bonnet is closed the rubber apron under the scoop forms a tight seal on the intercooler which is very nearly touching the fins.

So im thinking surely this will lower my intake temp, but after several runs (with approx same outside temp conditions) the intercooler feels alot warmer to touch (I dont have an intake temp monitor) than what it did before I did the tilt mod!

Would it be due to the fact that there is too tight a seal so the air only flows through the centre core of the intercooler, where as before there was a small gap between the rubber apron and I/C so the air would flow through the core and also some onto the end tanks/over the back of the intercooler, thus cooling down the end tanks/back of the intercooler aswell?
Old 29 July 2006, 04:10 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many variables there to be sure. Best place to test would be on a motorway at say a constant 70mph, with a charge temp monitor in the throttle body pipe, do a run one way with it tilted and note the readings, then put it back to standard and try again.
Old 29 July 2006, 07:14 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look into getting a charge temp monitor setup. I was just surprised that once I had done the tilt mod and went for a drive, as soon as I got back home I popped the bonnet, expecting the I/C to feel 'cooler' than before the mod, and it didnt and I dont think it has since.

Its hard to tell as recently we've had some really warm nights and I know that affects it, but I'll keep adjusting it and see what I find. Think I need to buy an I/C splitter aswell, sure that'll help it.