Notices

Hybrid Front Mount on a MY98 HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2006, 04:37 PM
trevisbest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hybrid Front Mount on a MY98 HELP!!

Hi,

after having a read through the archives etc, I found the hybrid front mount intercooler thread, but I have a few questions...

1) I still have the standard airbox, I was going to just fit an uprated panel filter, but i`ve just read that you cant fit a FMIC with the standard airbox in place? BUT, i`ve also read that the MAF sensor on MY98 cars dont react well AT ALL to ind kits?...so am I well and trully buggered before I even begin?

2) Is there no cutting required of the inner wing on the MY98 cars? As in the thread the pre 98 cars had to have a larger hole cut, but then someone fitted the front mount to a MY98 and said the holes were already big enough? True...or false?

3) Re-mapping....am I right that MY98 cars ECU`s are not Re-mappable? cant be ecutek`d?..Does this mean i`ll have to buy a stand alone ECU too if I fit a front mount? (i`ve already got a turbo back straight through exhaust system)

erm..thinks thats about it for now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trev
Old 28 July 2006, 06:54 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) No your not buggered, You will have to bin the std air box and get a induction kit but something like an Apexi or k&n seem to work OK i used a Apexi for over 3yrs without any problems but i would make sure it's secured to the inner wing using the fitting kit that comes with it (MAF's don't like vibrations)

2) You can get away without cutting the inner wing i found that making hole bigger made fitting easier and kept the pipe away from the body work.

3) No 98 ecu's cannot be Ecutek'd but i think some people can remap them with varying degrees of success personally I'd buy a stand alone ecu like a Apexi/Link/Gems etc
Old 28 July 2006, 07:44 PM
trevisbest
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply mate, I really cant afford a stand alone ECU, bit of a shame, would I absolutely need to get the car re-mapped if I fitted an apexi ind kit and front mount?

Would something like an apexi s-afc be anygood? As a compromise?
Old 28 July 2006, 08:06 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in 1 and 2 myself, because I'm thinking of a front mount on my 98 WRX. But as for 3...well IMHO I'd go for an Apexi Power FC. OK I know it's costly but then remapping will give you the biggest power gains for the money and will tie up all your mods nicely. I reckon you'd get away without a remap for a while, although you should aim to do it before stuff like turbo and injector swaps and high flow fuel pumps etc. Essentially all your doing is taking an intake restriction off the turbo with the open induction kit, and offsetting this with a more reliably cold intake charge. It should balance things out nicely and if nothing else has changed you won't have much of a problem. Once you start freeing up the exhaust you'll then start to get a boost increase and your standard ECU will need to be swapped out for a mappable job.

So this is what I'd do:
Fit IK and FMIC
Drive around for a bit and save up for a Power FC.
When your exhaust eventually needs replacing, whack in a sports cat and sort out the rest of the system, then get it mapped asap.
Old 28 July 2006, 08:50 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

I think you need to think about your power targets first! Depending on what mods you already have if any? maybe get the ecu first if your after under 300 bhp the ecu and simple exhaust mods will get you there without the hassle and expense of a fmic.
Old 29 July 2006, 12:15 PM
trevisbest
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
I think you need to think about your power targets first! Depending on what mods you already have if any? maybe get the ecu first if your after under 300 bhp the ecu and simple exhaust mods will get you there without the hassle and expense of a fmic.
I already have a turbo back straight thru exhaust, removing both cats..it was on the car when I bought it a few days ago...but as far as i know the car has had nothing remapped or altered to adjust to the exhaust.

I think power FC may have to be first then, before anything else.
Old 29 July 2006, 02:09 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

fmic seems a little over kill on std turbo and std ecu, as the benefits will limited, would also budget for a bigger turbo to make the gains worthwhile

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2006, 09:46 PM
trevisbest
Scooby Regular

the main reason for me wanting the fmic..is the looks lol
Old 31 July 2006, 02:32 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

maybe www.wildsworld.co.uk might help....

Has the history of my UK '98 mods.....

Started with decat, panel filter.
Then Powerengineering remap (They do a daughter board mod for the 98 ECU)
HOWEVER, if wanting to get lots of maps (i.e. lots of future changes), go Apexi-FC

Then FMIC - which makes little difference without a map
Apexi-fc, TD05, Injectors and more.... 325bhp/300lbsft by 'the end'....

I've tried to document the mods and all the supporting mods too (suspension/brakes etc)- If you've just had the car, I assume its still running the ridiculous 2 pots ( )? I'd start there if I were you ,

Mark
Old 31 July 2006, 02:41 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markwild
maybe www.wildsworld.co.uk might help....

Has the history of my UK '98 mods.....

Started with decat, panel filter.
Then Powerengineering remap (They do a daughter board mod for the 98 ECU)
HOWEVER, if wanting to get lots of maps (i.e. lots of future changes), go Apexi-FC

Then FMIC - which makes little difference without a map
Apexi-fc, TD05, Injectors and more.... 325bhp/300lbsft by 'the end'....

I've tried to document the mods and all the supporting mods too (suspension/brakes etc)- If you've just had the car, I assume its still running the ridiculous 2 pots ( )? I'd start there if I were you ,

Mark
Very good Mark
Old 31 July 2006, 02:50 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks