Notices

Auto import

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2006, 03:08 PM
redneck
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto import

My mate told me not to bother buying an auto import as they are a pain in the *** & the gearbox is well expensive if it goes wrong. Is this wright.
Also are imports group 20
Old 28 July 2006, 03:39 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Hi redneck,

welcome to the forum wouldnt go as far as to say they are a waste of time but they are significantly different cars to the manuals.

I have a 1995 WRX wagon auto & one of my mates has a UK 1998 saloon manual I've thrashed both of them extensively so recon I can actually give opinions based on fact rather than fiction.....

really depends what you want the car for..

Obviously if the cars for impressin the boys & girls at the local carpark then the autos a complete looser.

Manual much quicker off the line, if your looking for the yehaaaa ! from traffic light racing then forget the auto from 0-20 its gutless unless you brake torque form the line, ( stand on brakes, floor throttle wait 2 sec release brakes & hang on ! not quite as quick as manual but pretty close ) which I wouldnt recommend all the time as it will knock hell out of your autobox.

Auto, well obviously more relaxing in normal mode, as quick really in "power" mode but you do need to "learn" how to drive an auto cause its different to a manual, feels a little remote until you get used to it.

The standard autobox (4eat) itself is actually a lot stronger than the equivalent manual box & clutch ( proven good for 400+bhp check the web for drag cars! vs manual dubious over 330bhp ), note the manual & clutch can be made tougher than standard but your talking major bucks here ! Having said that I have rebuilt my auto once due to excessive brake torqueing !! cost me £500 from a reputable transmission rebuilder complete clutch packs seals etc, did the removal & reinstallation myself though to keep cost down. A manual rebuild will almost certainly cost at least as much possibly more dependant upon failure & will happen more often if the car is used "hard".

As far as tuning is concerned the engines are the same, although the auto can scare some "developers" off due to lack of experience.

I think basically if you enjoy swapping cogs ( changing gear ) & a more "involved" driving experience go for a manual, if you have a stop start commute to work go for an auto.

As far as performance is concerned once your moving there's not a lot in it.

obviously just my ( fairly educated ) opinion ,

enjoy,

SS
Old 31 July 2006, 09:05 AM
redneck
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that dude ill take a test drive
Old 31 July 2006, 12:51 PM
GC8TK
Scooby Newbie

Hi Redneck, i agree with speedysteve, they are good.
I have a TommyKiara 1995 WRX. Its so rapid of the line and it corners like a dream. There maybe downfalls but essentially the scooby range are the same.
The only thing with imports are the emissions and the wiring loom is slightly different. I had some problems with mine but i got them sorted.

Engine wise, about the same strength. Gearboxes are slightly stronger than standard on imports (i launch mine off traffic lights etc at about 7 grand!! not all the time mind ) Diffs are the same.
The imports are usually restricted to 180kph (120mph) but you can by this. Graham Goode racing do a chip that de restricts the car. Havent done it yet, speed limit here is meesly 35mph!!

Only downsides to owning an import is some garages will charge extra for working on them, purely because they hear the word "import" and they think
Oh s**t!! hassles!!
Im not a qualified mechanic but i find them ok to work on.

Getting parts sometimes can be a bitch. They need 19 or so digits from the VIN plate and imports have 15 i think. I cant remember, havent looked for ages to tell truth.

UK scooby drivers may frown on you for buying a "cheaper" scooby!!
But dont worry, you will have the superior car.

Scour Ebay for a CDROM workshop manual if you cant get a book type one.
if a user called brownerman is selling.... buy one!! i did and he is good.

Any problems, PM me and ill help if i can

GC8TK

PS Yes they are a group 20 but im 33 and my insurance is £426 a year fully comprehensive cover.
No Convictions and full no claims bonus.

Last edited by GC8TK; 31 July 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:13 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi GC8TK,

funny that £426 same price as my latest renewal ( this week actually ! ) is your no claims protected at that price ? also is it A.Flux ?

sounds like youve got yourself an interesting special edition !

not that im jelous or anything

SS 35 8yrs NCD...
Old 31 July 2006, 03:42 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

I have an import and ive not had any problems with getting parts!
I can't say if its better than owning a uk spec or not as its the onll car above a 1.3 ive drove!
Insurrence isnt as bad as people make it out, mine is a group 20 and im 22. I pay 1600 fully comp and an excess of 150. I got 4 yrs NCB too.
only downside is the company wanted the car fitted with a cat1 thatcham alarm, which the policy required. I just got an engineer to check over the existing alarm and sign the paperwork all for £40. Which toad were asking £280 to take it out and put it back in! To$$3rs.
The garage my car went to said any work that it needed they would do, far cheaper than official dealers!
Its bloody fast, I love it and wouldnt swap it for anything faster or slower!
As for autos, ive no clue, but heard that fixing the boxes(if they ever went wrong) can be very costly if done at a garage.
Old 31 July 2006, 09:04 PM
GC8TK
Scooby Newbie

SpeedySteve,

Yeah you could say its a bit special... Cusco Twin Fan rad, Tien adjustable suspension, Quik Rack, Lower Bracing, Garrett Upgraded Turbo, blah blah blah...
Would love to post a photo but i dont know how.

Its in Red at moment but when its running its gonna be treated to new paint job.

Im with Norwich Union though a local broker. NCB is protected, no excess.
If i went to Adrian Flux then i would probably save some... Might try him.

GC8TK

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2006, 09:46 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I suggest Gary Moulson @ Keith Michaels for insurance (Moley WRX), very helpful & will cover all mods.