Notices

Uses for a Top Mount....

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2006, 09:18 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uses for a Top Mount....

Is it possible to convert a top mount intercooler and use it to feed an Air Filter with the appropriate pipe and cool box design ??

Or is it a waste of time..could it be used as an oil cooler location or a power steering fluid cooing area ??

or am i just

Chris.
Old 23 July 2006, 10:46 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What, you mean to pre-cool the intake air before it gets to the filter? Or are we talking about what to do with the gap that's left once you remove the top mount intercooler (which is often full of front mount pipework or an oil cooler).

If it's the former, that would be a waste of time as an intercooler can only cool down to ambient temperature at best. It would be more likely to pick up extra heat and put it into the intake air.
Old 24 July 2006, 09:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If you mean relocate the air filter so that it gets fed air from the TMIC scoop, then JGM did this once, not sure about the results, it wasn't boxed in though.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:35 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

I was thinking either to be honest.....

Either using it to force more air into the air filter due to the nature of the scoop and physics

Or to use the space left by the top mount for an oil cooler or similar.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:58 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

By relocating the air filter to the scoop, you also stick it right above the turbo . You could use some form of ducting to the underside of the bonnet to channel the air, but i'm not sure how effective that would be .

I would put an oil cooler below the scoop thats where i hope to locate one on mine
Old 24 July 2006, 11:22 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got any pictures of their handy work ???

I was thinking maybe some ducting to send the air to the air filter, maybe even with a top mount water spray in place to densen the air for the filter ???
Old 24 July 2006, 04:15 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say use it for an oil cooler. If you were to relocate a filter in there, it could be done but you'd want to seal off the underside very effectively to insulate it from turbo and gearbox heat. If you wanted to use it as a cold air feed for the filter in the standard position, you'd either use one pipe, in which case I doubt there'd be enough of a pressure differential to actually feed any cold air into the engine bay at all; or you'd use the full width of the scoop to run as much cold air as possible down, but then you're talking about loads of pipe everywhere which would be a mess.

Best bet is stick an oil cooler in there.