Notices

New Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2006, 02:05 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust System

I want to get anew exhaust for my 53 Wrx and have been looking round on the forum for ideas. Most people seem to be going for de cat, however i'm not sure if i want the hassle of chaning pipes for MOT's and the likes.

I was just wondering then what people would recommend as a system that will give a good sound and as much of a power gain as possible but still be road legal. Although i'm not going to at the moment, i'll prob get an ECU remap at some point in the future so i don't know if that's a consideration aswell. Further if there are any other ways of gaining some more power without spending loads of money or doing a large project then can you advise me.

Finally if i were to go with the decat is there a big advantage in terms of power gains (esp when combined with other mods) and is it easy to pass MOT's / avoid getting fined if u get caught etc

From what i've seen on the forum it appeared that Hayward and Scott are a good company so i emailed them and they recommended the following:

The most common conversion that we can do, to keep it road legal and not
mess up the ecu is to remove the 2nd cat replacement pipe for £90, centre
pipe £90, original Scoobysport back box £235 or a Jap style angled exit back
box £220.

This will give about 15Bhp and a nice deep flat 4 sound.

What do u think of the sound of this?

Thanks

Joe
Old 21 July 2006, 03:54 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can recommend Hayward & Scott. I got a full exhaust system from them as part of a group buy last March, and have no compliants at all. I'd agree with the advice they've given in your post. A sports CAT downpipe is the only additional item that will keep it legal but they are expensive - and as you're more interested in the sound I don't think would be worth the extra money.

My full decat cost me a total of around £600 (including fitting and heat wrap for the downpipe), and I'd say it was worth it for the sound alone as this is something I notice more than the improvement in performance.