Notices

ecu light on sti 2004

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 08:48 PM
stiprodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu light on sti 2004

i have fitted a hks induction kit and a bailey dump valve. Since these have been fitted, the idle of the car is very up and down. Why is this happening? Also a firend pulled the plug off the airflow meter and the engine stopped. I plugged it back in and now the engine managment light is on. How do we reset this?
Old 19 July 2006, 08:49 PM
stiprodrive
Scooby Regular

any help pleases
Old 19 July 2006, 08:52 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I think you'll need a remap for any induction kit. Copied from the newage modifications thread on Scoobynet:

TEST 4 – As Per TEST2 plus Cone Induction Kit (standard sized MAF pipe) – Comments
TEST 4 +29.0bhp +33.17lbft (peak) over Base Line
TEST 4 - 5.1bhp + 8.80lbft (peak) over TEST3

The first thing noted during the power run was fairly audible surge from using the Induction Kit. But since at this level of testing, we were only looking at bolt on mod’s without re-mapping required or further investigation, we ignored this at the time (for purposes of a power graph for comparison). Obviously surge is not a good thing, but this would be looked in to in a later test.

As shown, peak BHP figures dropped while peak torque figures increased. However, between 3400-5800k rpm both BHP and Torque saw increases over TEST3.

Looking at the graph (which overlays TEST4 against TEST3 and TEST2 figures) shows a some what more meaningful comparison though.

Although quite difficult to follow in the above power graph, the difference in low down power/torque is quite noticeable, with the standard air box and K&N filter showing the better low down power, followed by the standard air box and standard filter, with finally the induction kit showing the worse comparison out of the 3 induction modifications so far. Granted, the mid range power has shown increases with the induction kit, but the higher rev range (6000k+) has not, which was very interesting.

In summary, the induction kit lost up to 20bhp/29.5lbft up to 3200rpm, but gained up to 10bhp/14.75lbft between 3200-4600rpm over the standard air box and K&N panel filter.

As a bolt on mod, it was concluded that the standard air box with the K&N filter was the better compromise in reality, so the car was reverted back to the standard air box and the K&N filter until we ventured with specific mapping for modifications.

As a full comparison (even though quite hard to distinguish in this overlay), the Power Graph below shows the difference between all THREE induction modifications with the ScoobySport 3" Exhaust.

Last edited by swtmerce; 19 July 2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 19 July 2006, 09:10 PM
stiprodrive
Scooby Regular

hi, thanks for that, very interesting. I am going to hopefully get a re-map..will this sort it out? How do I turn my engine management light off now? is the bailey dump valve affecting any of this? the engine management light wasn't on until one fo my firends was playing silly buggers..and decided to unplug the sensor while the engine running from the airflow meter now the EML won't go out .. is there a reset for this? thanks to the last guy for all the information
Old 19 July 2006, 09:14 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

hi there. Don't know about the light but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon enough. You could always call a garage. I called Zen Performance for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of questions and not even a car to take to them (was calling for advice about my next purchase). I was stunned by how helpful the guy was. 'd also recommend you read up the entire modifications thread I quoted from - I think there's more info in it about induction kits.
Old 19 July 2006, 09:21 PM
stiprodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
hi there. Don't know about the light but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon enough. You could always call a garage. I called Zen Performance for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of questions and not even a car to take to them (was calling for advice about my next purchase). I was stunned by how helpful the guy was. 'd also recommend you read up the entire modifications thread I quoted from - I think there's more info in it about induction kits.
THANK YOU
Old 19 July 2006, 09:39 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

your light will turn off after 3 restarts of the engine presuming it was only the maf sensor you unplugged....
Old 19 July 2006, 09:40 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

HKS induction kits are notorious for letting too much crap through them by the way, best thing is to remove it till you have a remap and refit it then if you still want it.
Old 19 July 2006, 09:57 PM
stiprodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
your light will turn off after 3 restarts of the engine presuming it was only the maf sensor you unplugged....
it the one that bolts on to the air box pipe m8