Notices

Snooper S4 Neo or Road Angel ? Which is best ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2006, 01:29 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snooper S4 Neo or Road Angel ? Which is best ?

I currently have a snooper S4 Neo and ancillary RLD unit module, ive also just impulsively bought a cheap secondhand Road Angel Compact without reaserching into it. Can anyone with experience of both these units tell me the positives and negatives of them. As one needs to go.

Much appreciated !!

Last edited by KK3960; 14 July 2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 14 July 2006, 01:42 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

like you I have both and both installed side by side in the same car.

to be honest I would not buy either again unless they were very cheap. RA I find a lot better as the screen is clearer and its easier to read and fewer cables. Snooper gives off loads of false alerts but neither has ever picked up our local radar traps.

RA is quite fiddly to program, whereas Snooper is a bit easier I suppose. A few more features on Snooper but the screen colour makes it very difficult to read and the size of the lettering makes it almost impossible. When it sunny, I don't even try. The attach shade thingy on RA is a joke. Mine is installed in the ideal position in the centre of the screen and if its sunny I can bearly make out the readings. The contrast changes do little to make things better.

I think RA have now upgraded so you get get an all in one Sat Nav as well which might be a better deal, but I think there are now better products out there. My Tom Tom 1 can warn me of safety cameras for c£50 a year, plus I can find where I am going on nice clear screen which is easy to read rain, shine or night. Plus I can take it anywhere. With Snooper / RA its a bit of a give a way then they are stuck on the windscreen and with all the wires its too much hassle to remove everything all the time.
Old 14 July 2006, 01:52 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose the Origin B2 Solo over the road angel as it tells you what speed you are spose to be driving...

Though i sold it afew weeks later as i could not justify £300 for something that beeps...and instead invested in a Set of Brembo's to help me stop when i see one
Old 14 July 2006, 03:29 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

I have a Snooper S4 (without RLD). To be honest I think this is a good unit overall. Never had any problems seeing the screen (even in bright sunlight - unlike my Sat Nav Screen) like mentioned above, even though it is annoying that you can only view one parameter at a time (Speed, signal strength / Compass etc.). The unit does give false alarms but only if you leave the unit on the 'ALL' setting instead of switching between 'CITY' & 'MOTORWAY' in the appropriate areas.

I have driven 1000's of miles with this unit (probably getting on for 80 - 90k in the past 2 years - not in my Scoob I might add) and would say the camera detection rate (nationally) is well into the high 90%'s. Ocassionally it does miss temporary roadworks cameras but that's it really. Also had the Laser feature spot camera vans a number of times also.

Features such as voice prompts of the speed limit when approaching a camera, countdown to camera in meters (adjustable) and smart mute so the 'beeps' are silent unless you're above the speed limit, at which time it beeps louder, are all excellent features which mean you don't really need to look at it that much anyway.

The unit is also excellent if, like me, you need to move it between several vehicles (I use three on a frequent basis). Simply unplug one lead and move to another car - I have an additional bracket mount and power cord in each car. One last point is that I have experienced other detectors of friends take ages to lock onto the statellites when first used on a given day, the S4 takes max of 20 - 30 secs on an average day.
Old 14 July 2006, 04:36 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

funny how things are so different. One thing i forgot to mention was how long my S4 takes to pick up sateiliites - so the exact opposite of the last post! Sometimes I can be half hour into the journey before it pick them up, sometimes its 20 seconds.
Old 16 July 2006, 06:51 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, ill hold fire on selling any of them for now then!
Old 17 July 2006, 12:15 AM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickejmartin
funny how things are so different. One thing i forgot to mention was how long my S4 takes to pick up sateiliites - so the exact opposite of the last post! Sometimes I can be half hour into the journey before it pick them up, sometimes its 20 seconds.
Comments I made in my earlier post are my experiences - I guess not every unit will be the same?

The only time my unit ever took a while to connect was when I first used it after registering (it took approx. 20 - 30 mins) which is normal (according to the instructions). Apart from that my unit connects very quickly everyday.....what can I say.....