Turbo question for STI new age

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2006, 12:20 AM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question for STI new age

Hi,

This month we will upgrade my car with a bigger turbocharger and some other goodies.

We have looked on a ATP kit from the States. But the kit are in a test period and we havenīt heard anything about a date to be launched. This kit contains a version of a Garrett GT030 turbocharger.

I have looked at the UK distributors about other turbochargers. One that I have looked at is Andy Forrest turbochargers. Does anyone here have any feedback or experience about the 18G turbocharger that he sells?

My car has a 2.0 Euro spec engine so I think that a 20G would be a little to big for 2.0 litre. I want good spool up and real good power. We are aiming for around 400 hp. I have also looked at Forced performance but their lack of support did that we didnīt wanīt to go for that brand. Deadbolt is also a good alternative but the delivery time is to long.

Any suggestions about turbochargers and distributors in the UK?

Regards
Johan
Old 08 July 2006, 12:27 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede-STI
Hi,

This month we will upgrade my car with a bigger turbocharger and some other goodies.

We have looked on a ATP kit from the States. But the kit are in a test period and we havenīt heard anything about a date to be launched. This kit contains a version of a Garrett GT030 turbocharger.

I have looked at the UK distributors about other turbochargers. One that I have looked at is Andy Forrest turbochargers. Does anyone here have any feedback or experience about the 18G turbocharger that he sells?

My car has a 2.0 Euro spec engine so I think that a 20G would be a little to big for 2.0 litre. I want good spool up and real good power. We are aiming for around 400 hp. I have also looked at Forced performance but their lack of support did that we didnīt wanīt to go for that brand. Deadbolt is also a good alternative but the delivery time is to long.

Any suggestions about turbochargers and distributors in the UK?

Regards
Johan
This is exactly the question i keep asking mate.

I want circa 400bhp with excellent response
Old 08 July 2006, 02:50 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by frayz
This is exactly the question i keep asking mate.

I want circa 400bhp with excellent response
The holy grail that everyone wants but you're unlikely to get..!

I suppose it depends on what you class as excellent response..!
Old 08 July 2006, 05:59 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I originally had an sti8 with the tsl333 remap. Torque was pretty poor and the lag (even from the standard VF35) was getting annoying.

Looked at several options over a few months and researched them all pretty thoroughly. The biggest debate to compliment the mods that I had in mind was 18G v 20G. If you do a search you'll see my thread about this very subject.......................

Anyway after some sound advice I ended up going for the 18G. Although not as strong at the top of the rev range the 18G had the legs of 20G in the mid range which in my eyes was the deciding factor (especially as my car is 100% for the road - no track days etc)

Additional mods were RCM downpipe (3"); 3" cat back system from Revolution; Harvey Smith ported and wrapped headers with uppipe; panel filter and a remap via Andy F. I've had this set up one week and I can honestly say the car is transformed. Lag is minimal and indeed a lot better than the old set up. The turbo has accessible power right through the gears (I found 1st and 2nd poor on the VF35) The torque in 4th and 5th is simply ballistic and I'm confident the car will be over 380 bhp (340 before).

Andy did confirm that there would be very little to chose from on identical cars (one running 18g the other running 20g) and after driving the car this week I'm under no illusions I made the right choice.

For reference Andys service was first class and his units carry a one year warranty.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08 July 2006, 08:32 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RLE
I originally had an sti8 with the tsl333 remap. Torque was pretty poor and the lag (even from the standard VF35) was getting annoying.

Looked at several options over a few months and researched them all pretty thoroughly. The biggest debate to compliment the mods that I had in mind was 18G v 20G. If you do a search you'll see my thread about this very subject.......................

Anyway after some sound advice I ended up going for the 18G. Although not as strong at the top of the rev range the 18G had the legs of 20G in the mid range which in my eyes was the deciding factor (especially as my car is 100% for the road - no track days etc)

Additional mods were RCM downpipe (3"); 3" cat back system from Revolution; Harvey Smith ported and wrapped headers with uppipe; panel filter and a remap via Andy F. I've had this set up one week and I can honestly say the car is transformed. Lag is minimal and indeed a lot better than the old set up. The turbo has accessible power right through the gears (I found 1st and 2nd poor on the VF35) The torque in 4th and 5th is simply ballistic and I'm confident the car will be over 380 bhp (340 before).

Andy did confirm that there would be very little to chose from on identical cars (one running 18g the other running 20g) and after driving the car this week I'm under no illusions I made the right choice.

For reference Andys service was first class and his units carry a one year warranty.

Sounds like youre on to a winner there mate.

Are you still running a TMIC or have you switched to FMIC?
Old 08 July 2006, 11:16 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

20G. Performs very well on mine, spool isn't an issue, pulls VERY hard.

With the right supporting mods, you can hit 400 (on a cold day)
Old 09 July 2006, 02:08 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

still on the standard sti TMIC frayz which Andy told me was good for 400. Anything over this and I'd have to have go down the FMIC route.

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2006, 02:12 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Ok,

Thankīs. I use the car on trackdays and everyday driving so a 20 G should be fine. I wanīt decent spool up and real good torque and power in higher revs.

Regards
J
Old 11 July 2006, 08:04 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE

I e-mailed Andy Forrest but got no response. What was the price of the turbo You bought?

Any other recommendations about companies in the UK that have this type of turbochargers in stock?

Reagards
Johan
Old 11 July 2006, 08:15 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Johan - I'm just about to order a 20G off Andy. He's a very busy guy, so can't always get back to you straight away, but he always does get back before too long, so don't worry. He charges Ģ850 + vat (I think ), but if it's for export, you might be exempt from vat.

Cheers
Andy
Old 11 July 2006, 09:08 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

All the info you need is here

http://andyforrestperformance.co.uk/16307.html

banny
Old 11 July 2006, 10:13 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

I bought my TD05 20G from Andy in January , with some of harveys headers, full decat, CAIK, and 550's, walbro, Mapped by Andy and im currently pulling 367HP (03 WRX) with 347Lbs torque!

Spool up is fine, i really dont see what all the fuss is re lag etc. with the 20G's, and i would purchase another one without fail. Just fitted an APS 3.5" system, GT Spec Headers and the power difference was very noticeable! Hopefully then after another mapping session and some 650's ill be not too far away from that magic 400HP figure!!

Last edited by KK3960; 11 July 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11 July 2006, 10:24 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Do you guys think the 05/20g is capable of pulling 400bhp from a newage sti?

How much different in flow, response, lag etc is the 06/20g compared to the 05?
Old 11 July 2006, 10:36 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo

You could always have a word with Turbo Dynamics about there MD195s hybrid turbo...It produced a very good result on a customers car of mine...344bhp@ 1 bar and 391bhp @ 1.3......With a healthy 1.6 bar midrange it produced 365lbft of torque and isn't much laggier than a VF34.....
Old 12 July 2006, 08:13 AM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

I went for a turbocharger from Deadbolt a 18 G with a 1.5 bar actuator. Deliverence will be next week.

Hope I will be satisfied now :-)

The only thing thatīs missing now is the APS inlet hose, injectors and fuel rail :-)
Old 12 July 2006, 09:29 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Do you guys think the 05/20g is capable of pulling 400bhp from a newage sti?

How much different in flow, response, lag etc is the 06/20g compared to the 05?
i think the td06 would be better suited to a 2.5 litre engine, i'm really tempted to get a TD05 20g now though, group buy anyone?
Old 12 July 2006, 10:14 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

As above, the TD06 is very good for the 2.5, but the TD05 is better suited to the 2.0.

The TD05 on a 2.5 however is apparently quite manic....a fair few people have done that route.
Old 12 July 2006, 10:15 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

KK3960

How are you finding your gearbox? I have similar torque to you at the moment but will have significantly more ina few weeks all being well....how does yours feel after a spirited run?
Old 12 July 2006, 01:19 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

No problems at all what so ever with the box. This is another falicy i hear about WRX box's! Ask Ninnybobbs about his gearbox and standard internals he has been running on for over a year in his WRX with his 18G and 400HP with no problems as im sure he will concur!!

If it goes Ill get an STI box and diff but it drives fine!
Old 12 July 2006, 01:36 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

thast fine, me too TBH, it prefers being driven harder though i find....quite rewarding, around town it feels kind of loose though.....nevermind.
Old 12 July 2006, 03:32 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swede-STI
I went for a turbocharger from Deadbolt a 18 G with a 1.5 bar actuator. Deliverence will be next week.

Hope I will be satisfied now :-)

The only thing thatīs missing now is the APS inlet hose, injectors and fuel rail :-)
I changed it to a 20G istead of the 18G