Notices

Air con makes car jerky. Any ideas why?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2006, 01:47 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air con makes car jerky. Any ideas why?

Hi all

I've got a MY99 UK Turbo, with air con fitted from new. It hasn't been recharged (ever, I think!) but still cools the car.

However, when you switch it on the whole car becomes 'jerky' and difficult to drive smoothly. When changing gear it seems to stutter as if you miss the biting point of the clutch - yet switch it off and the car drives perfectly again.

Anyone got any ideas about why this happens? Or is it just me!!

All the best

Dave.
Old 06 July 2006, 01:50 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

not you mate i have the same problem with my94 import,

any info would be good
Old 06 July 2006, 01:51 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

its just when the compressor fires up, i hate driving with the aircon on myself too....
Old 06 July 2006, 01:53 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above the compressor is driven by the crank and puts relative amount of strain on the engine especially at low revs when very little torque is being generated by the engine.
Old 06 July 2006, 03:44 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Davey - that's exactly it. It's fine when driving at crusing speed, down the motorways. But driving around town, in slow traffic when you're not really getting into the 'turbo zone!' is a real nightmare.

Wonder whether getting the unit refurbed might help? Does anyone with a new/newer Scooby find the same thing happens?

Also, my car was mapped via a ECUTek remap, with the air con off. Wonder if becasue of this, when it is on, the ecu can't work out where the extra horses are being used?
Old 06 July 2006, 03:55 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

just had the same issue after having my car mapped with an apexi....revs hit the floor whn air con switched on and compressor engages,keeps then tripping in and out so revs are up and down and bloody horrible..... but apparently the ecu can learn the load by allowing it to idle with air con for about 5 mins.... would think the standard ecu could do this too.... mine was mapped with air con off too so when the extra load is applied when turning it on the revs drop..... seemed better this morning when i tried it again
Old 06 July 2006, 05:10 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave East
Does anyone with a new/newer Scooby find the same thing happens?
I have a newage WRX (MY02) which also does this . I have had the car for about 3 years. I never noticed this to begin with, but have experienced this noticably last year - particularly bad when stop / starting in slow moving traffic.

However, during the recent 'hot' weather I have noticed this is even worse, to the extent that when crusing along - say 40 mph under low revs, the car sometimes stutters - VERY annoying. A shame as I tend to drive with aircon on quite a lot - turning aircon off gets rid of the problem.

I also have a Vectra (company car) and my wife has an Omega, both of which don't drive any differently with aircon on, which makes the scoobs behaviour even more annoying. I would definately say mine does it worse the hotter the outside temp is though. Surely they shouldn't do this? Any ideas? Has everyone that's posted about this problem had a remap?

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2006, 06:05 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Mine has started to do this and actually cuts out I too have an Apexi ECU, but air con was on when ECU put in (when remapped)

Last edited by little'un; 07 July 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06 July 2006, 06:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mine started doing this after i fitted underdrive pulley wheels

now you lot mention it i might switch off the aircon and see if it improves

nearly ordered a idlespeed valve the other day
mate told me it would "defo" fix it
Old 06 July 2006, 06:46 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Ditto for me too in my MY03 WRX.
I left a post the same as this asking about it the other week, LOL.
I find it ****e tbh. I hate having aircon on unless i am motorway driving, then it doesn't affect anything.
Normal driving and gear changing is a bloody nightmare.
Old 06 July 2006, 06:51 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Ditto for me too in my MY03 WRX.
I left a post the same as this asking about it the other week, LOL.
I find it ****e tbh. I hate having aircon on unless i am motorway driving, then it doesn't affect anything.
Normal driving and gear changing is a bloody nightmare.
MY03 WRX, same problem here. Sometimes worrying in traffic as I find the car can suddenly pick up and go with no throttle position change.
Old 06 July 2006, 07:34 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mines a lumpy and virtually undrivable with the aircon on in traffic.. MY01 WRX
Old 06 July 2006, 07:41 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Mines fine, infact when the compressor cuts in the revs rise to help the engine along.

I would have it looked at.

Rob
Old 06 July 2006, 07:52 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

i think you'll find most cars are like this. it used to be that when you switched the air con on, the compressor ran pretty much all the time, however, modern cars bring the compressor in 'on demand' (they also switch the compressor off when it senses you are calling on more power )

i would have thought that with all this hot weather and humidity latley is the main cause, afterall, you are trying to cool a car down that is 30 + degrees inside. take a leaf out of my book :- air con off when cruising (got to have windows down to hear those pops and gurgles), use air con when on motorway (stops the wig blowing off )

enjoy !!!
Old 06 July 2006, 07:52 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The only real sollution is to buy a car with a massive torquey beast of an engine
Old 06 July 2006, 08:10 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, we need to get to the bottom of this as I do not believe they should do this, and am sure mine didn't when I first got it (nearly new).

We need to gather as much info as possible to try and find a common link - Answer the following questions (I've started this in red).

1. Year: MY02
2. Model: WRX
3. UK Spec or JDM: UK Spec
4. Mileage: 43k
5. Does car run OK with Aircon off: Yes (perfect)
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: Yes (EcuTeK)
7. Fuel usually used (95, 97, Optimax, Tesco etc.): Optimax (Always)
8. Decat Exhaust: Yes (Sports Cat downpipe, decat up & Centre Sections)
9. Aftermarket DV: Yes (Dualport)
10: Any other Modifications: Uprated Fuel Pump, Green Panel Filter,

To be honest, I'm not sure how some of the above would effect the cars running with Aircon on, but if we compile the information we may begin to see a pattern.
Old 06 July 2006, 08:18 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steppler
i think you'll find most cars are like this.
As I said in an earlier post in this thread - I have a Vectra company car(2003) and my wife has an Omega (1999) both with Aircon. Neither of these drive any different with Aircon on or off. I also have access to many vehicles through work and have not generally experienced any real difference in running on most modern cars (e.g. Ford Mondeo, Renault Laguna, Nissan Primera, VW Golf etc.). Note I'm referring to smoothness of running, idling etc with aircon on, not necessarily performance.

The only previous car I have experienced with poor running with aircon switched on was an old 1987 Toyota Celica (non Turbo) that I once owned - this had an ECO mode and was fine on that, but on full Aircon had very poor idle and hesitated under low revs - but this was an old design by modern standards.
Old 06 July 2006, 08:19 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

ok just a quickie question. do you guys who have problems with air con use it over the winter. air con needs to be run (only for a minute or two) maybe once a month to keep the system lubricated. it maybe that your compressors are running tight due to lack of use!!

for you Palmo
4. Mileage: 30k
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: PPP
7. Fuel usually used (95, 97, Optimax, Tesco etc.): Optimax
8. Decat Exhaust: only part of ppp
9. Aftermarket DV: modified resonator
10: Any other Modifications: girlfriend has had boob job
Old 06 July 2006, 08:23 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

My aircon went warm a few months back but as I couldn't drive it for 5 weeks I didn't bother getting it regassed. However I have been driving it again for the past couple of weeks with the aircon turned off due to it blowing warm air. I had it regassed last night and it feels much more sluggish now, driving with it switched on.

I'll be using it while cruising on A roads or the motorway but it'll be off the rest of the time.

1. Year: MY01
4. Mileage: 40k
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: Yes (EcuTeK)
7. Fuel usually used (95, 97, Optimax, Tesco etc.): Texaco/Total SUL (Always)
8. Decat Exhaust: No (H&S bb and de-resonated centre)
9. Aftermarket DV: No
10: Any other Modifications: Uprated Fuel Pump, HKS Super Hybrid panel filter

p.s. steppler

Got any pics? :-)
Old 06 July 2006, 08:27 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

afraid not mate !!!
Old 06 July 2006, 08:27 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

ok just a quickie question. do you guys who have problems with air con use it over the winter. air con needs to be run (only for a minute or two) maybe once a month to keep the system lubricated. it maybe that your compressors are running tight due to lack of use!!
This makes sense what you're saying, but in my case I use aircon all year round, find it demists windows quicker in the winter (with heater control set to hot) and keeps them clear whilst driving - so not the problem in my case.

for you Palmo
4. Mileage: 30k
7. Fuel usually used (95, 97, Optimax, Tesco etc.): Optimax
8. Decat Exhaust: only part of ppp
9. Aftermarket DV: modified resonator
Interesting that we both have similar(ish) specs (same year, model, spec etc.) - except for 10.
Old 06 July 2006, 08:32 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

i use my aircon through the winter for the same reasons, i think thats why i don't feel the hesitation as bad. I used to own a FTO and that had problems when air con was on, turned out to be a faulty idle control valve (wasn't bringing up the revs before air con comes on)

>>Interesting that we both have similar(ish) specs (same year, model, spec etc.) - except for 10.<<

Old 06 July 2006, 08:44 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

No problems with a/c on or off, my revs go up a bit sometimes but never had any problems, o and the a/c works it gets very, very cold.

1. Year: MY94
3. Import (Jap)
4. Mileage: 60k
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: No
7. Fuel usually used (Optimax) always, + booster = around 100 ron
8. Decat Exhaust: No,just back box
9. Aftermarket DV: No standard
Old 06 July 2006, 08:50 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

i use my aircon through the winter for the same reasons, i think thats why i don't feel the hesitation as bad. I used to own a FTO and that had problems when air con was on, turned out to be a faulty idle control valve (wasn't bringing up the revs before air con comes on)

>>Interesting that we both have similar(ish) specs (same year, model, spec etc.) - except for 10.<<

Mine has definately been worse during this hot weather, although when the revs rise and the turbo begins to boost it's fine. When I turn aircon on the engine revs do rise a little. I have EcuTeK delta dash on my laptop - I've tried further raising the tickover rpm (can adjust up by a max of 300 rpm with aircon on in 25rpm stages) but this has made no difference.

It does it worst when you're drving slowly in second, say coming up to a junction that doesn't require stopping and is too quick for 1st - apply the power to pull away and it sort of stutters briefly before pulling fine. Funny thing is, I've just been out in the car a few mins ago and it is not doing it as bad tonight (still there though) - temperature is lower than yesterday however when it was a real PIG!
Old 06 July 2006, 09:06 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

to be honest i don't think the subaru air con system is the most sophisticated in the world. as you said in your earlier post, yours and your wifes cars don't have the hisitation. i think some cars bring the air con in on the 'eco' mode before going onto full demand. i think the subaru system is on or off. i'll have a look through the data sheets
Old 07 July 2006, 01:02 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Its a combinatoin of 2 things-v.low torque engine off boost(compared to your vectras ect) + in the hotter weather the charge pressure in the ac system is higher(due to the gasses getting hotter/expanding) making it harder work for the compressor.These two things combined make it more noticable when the compressor kicks in and out.
Can be worth getting the refridgerant level checked,as if its overgassed it will make this jerkiness more noticable.

Gary.

Last edited by easyrider; 07 July 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07 July 2006, 07:46 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth:

1. Year: MY05
3. UK Spec
4. Mileage: 33k
7. Fuel usually used: Optimax
8. Decat Exhaust: PPP

Does car run perfectly with aircon on? Yes, no problems at all.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:17 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Just to aid the research:

1. Year: MY03
3. UK Spec
4. Mileage: 39k
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: Not yet
7. Fuel usually used: All sorts from Sainsburys unleaded to Esso + octane booster
8. Decat Exhaust: WRSport back box and centre decat and unresonated centre pipe in 3 hours time

Does car run perfectly with aircon on?: No, it surges especially when in slow moving traffic.

I still love it though.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:18 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Common aircon problem I think... don't have aircon in my scoob (been a bit of a misery the past week!) but used to have exactly the same issue in my previous car, 2 litre Mondeo with aircon, and the same thing with my old man's Rover 75 when I occasionally drive that. Makes the car sluggish and juddery. Moral: sack comfort, go for speed and put up with windows open on the motorway.
Old 10 July 2006, 05:41 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Really interesting to hear others are having the same problems. Here are my 'vital stats!'

1. Year: MY99
2. Model: Turbo
3. UK Spec
4. Mileage: 75k
6. Has car had a Remap e.g. EcuTek: EcuTek
7. Fuel usually used: Optimax/Tesco 99 + booster
8. Decat Exhaust: Afterburner Vortex + full decat + welded in silencer in centre pipe

I spoke to Dave at Cheam Motors regarding this issue, and he informed me that to date, no one had complained of these issues (seems odd as there are a substanital number of posts in this thread). He suggested that the increased heat of the summer, together with the drain from the air con grealty increases the noticable effect of switiching the air con on.

It would be good to get to the bottom of this! Assuming there is a bottom of course!!

All the best

Dave

Quick Reply: Air con makes car jerky. Any ideas why?