Notices

Hyd connections to New Age Clutch Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 11:01 AM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyd connections to New Age Clutch Master Cylinder?

Having just fitted an STi8 intercooler to my classic I would like to fit a new age clutch master cylinder with offset reservoir. I have been told these are a straight swop (with a bit of pipe bending).
Question is, I looked at a new age in breakers and there appear to be 2 pipes from the cyinder, but only one on the classic. Is the second pipe a return? Can I blank it off?
Thanks for any help.

Neil
Old 10 July 2006, 10:27 AM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Anyone ??
Old 10 July 2006, 06:14 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I've just been through a lot of clutch plumbing hassles myself and I was under the impression that they all had just one outlet whatever the year. There shouldn't be any return pipe really, it's a sealed hydraulic system so the same connection should do both in and out (or push and pull if you want).

What I have got, that you might be interested in, is a 60cm length of Goodridge steel braided clutch hose with the exact right fittings at either end to bypass the standard plumbing totally. One end screws in the side of a classic master cylinder and the other end is a banjo fitting for the slave cylinder. At one point I thought I'd have to scrap my hydraulic plumbing so made up a braided pipe to replace it all. In the end I didn't need it.

In the US, Subaru already offer a steel braided clutch hose from the end of the factory plumbing to the slave cylinder to try and provide a better pedal. I just cut out ALL the plumbing in one go!
Old 13 July 2006, 08:23 PM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Silent running - thanks. I have attached a picture of the offending clutch cylinder. I have obtained the complete assembly (from breakers) and intend to determine what the circuit is. Does the terminal block (bottom right in pic) do anything other than interconnect the pipes?

Why do Subaru provide such a complex network of piping, if you can dump it all and use a single direct pipe (as you ? Are there any shorcomings? Is it more difficult to bleed?
Will update this when I have installed the cylinder.

Neil
Old 13 July 2006, 09:56 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

neil I fitted the new age mastercylinder to my P1 i will have a look how i did it. I know i removed all the old pipe work that goes on the bulkhead and only used one of the holes on the new one. will check it out tomorrow.
ken
Old 14 July 2006, 08:14 PM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Default Answer.......

See picture of install in my UK MY99. The end connector is the one to use, I had to bend the pipe to allow it to mate.
The other connection on the side of the master cylinder only connects to the bleed valve on the top and can be left un-connected (and the bleed valve removed).

Neil