Notices

RA died........help needed :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 01:36 AM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RA died........help needed :(

hello people.....I have a my95 STI RA. I was on the motorway and heard noises similar to bottom end knocking i had before the rebiuld but it was getting louder and louder and power loss,i finally made it to the hard shoulder where it died.(I was P'D OFF i just did my 1k run-in last week) oil was all over the bottom of the engine and found no water in the radiator(btw i top'd it up before i set off) The car was recovered by the garage(scooby teknix),and they tried starting it ..all you heard was a big 'KLUNK' (my heart sank). They strip'd down the engine and they are trying to find out the problem.Here's where i need help!!! Do i let this garage try and repair the engine or take the engine to someone else??
bare in mind that if it needs another rebiuld this will be my 3rd time by this company since i bought the car a little over 3months ago.Im stress out and want to drive my scooby.
Thank you for your time! Any help/advice would be great!

Last edited by mini vs scooby; 28 June 2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 28 June 2006, 02:54 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

NO water, engine should have overheated and this would/should show on the dash clocks, depends if they are a good place or use the places on here, that others use, who is at fault?
Old 28 June 2006, 04:55 AM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

hmm well dats the thing no warning lights no nothing.I think they are at fault to be honest i dont think they are capable of repairing the engine to a certain standard as they had two chances to put it right already.But do i take it as it is else where or let them get it running 1st? its still under warranty but i just dont want the hassel of traveling 60 miles everytime something goes wrong because of their workmanship. thanx killa
Old 28 June 2006, 07:45 AM
Scooby Senior

How many times have you paid? what were the previous problems? there may be a problem with the ecu/maf/somthing else that is causing it, either that or just bad workmanship, in which case I'd ask for a refund/ask them to get API to rebuild it and they just fit it.

Hope you get it sorted!
Old 28 June 2006, 09:53 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
How many times have you paid? what were the previous problems? there may be a problem with the ecu/maf/somthing else that is causing it, either that or just bad workmanship, in which case I'd ask for a refund/ask them to get API to rebuild it and they just fit it.

Hope you get it sorted!
Not sure I'd want one of my engines fitted by a company that seems to having as much trouble with this job as the poster suggests.

We can - of course - fix the car but we'd need to do the whole job from top to bottom.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

Call me if I can help.
Old 28 June 2006, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mini vs scooby
bare in mind that if it needs another rebiuld this will be my 3rd time by this company since i bought the car a little over 3months ago.Im stress out and want to drive my scooby.
Thank you for your time! Any help/advice would be great!
3 rebuilds in as many months??!!! I hope they didn't charge you for the second. If I had a rebuild and it failed a month later, I'd want to know why and expect it fixed under a warranty! On the previous occassion (and this one), did they firmly establish what the cause was?? If they just fixed the bits that were broken without establishing this first, then it's most likely gonna happen again!

If they don't give you a definitive answer to this, I would consider taking the car somewhere else.

If an independent third party finds the original work to be at fault, then you may be able to claim compensation for the failure to the tune of the cost of a proper re-build somewhere else.

If you do go somewhere else, my suggestion would be APi; there is lots of evidence on here for the quality of their rebuilds.

Ns04
Old 28 June 2006, 02:11 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Im always interested in these sorts of posts because I think you tend to find when you scratch beneath the surface a bit, there's always a little bit more to it.

Im not saying that its their fault, your fault or a combination but I know Andy that runs ST and he's a good guy. As you said, he has given you the warranty on the engine, so whilst I appreciate the inconvenience to you whilst the work is being carried out, Andy is footing the bill.

You mention that you had just finished the 1k running in period, had you changed the oil from mineral to full synth and the second you'd done the running in, did you just start canning it down the motorway? And you said you heard the klunking noise but carried on until it was really dead... was that wise? I would have thought bearing in mind you'd just had some engine work done it might have be more prudent just to pull over briefly and check?

As I said, it could be down to a fault with the rebuild and if it is, Im sure will get sorted properly. Just out of interest has it had an previous uk owners or is it a fresh import?

And just to show Im not biased because I know Andy, I have used David at APi to source my Exedy clutch and lightened flywheel and I found his service and advice absolutely spot on (cheers David )

Last edited by Jay_bee; 28 June 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2006, 03:05 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Before i carry on i would like to clear up 1 thing SCOOBY TEKNIX didnt build the engines,as it was sent off to a 3rd party engine builder!!!thankz!
and sorry if i implied they was the people who carried out the work!Dont get me wrong Andy is a good guy but you have to understand the time and inconvenience it has caused me over the 3month period.

There has been no extra cost as everthing was under warranty,and NO i dont rag the ***** out of the car.The only reason the car was on the motorway doing 70ish is because i had 2 make my way down to S.T otherwise i keep away from them...as it is a RA motorways aint the place to drive! I am the 1st uk owner, the car was mint apart from a bottom end knocking which started bout 60-70miles after i got it (which was not very loud) and was taken to S.T.The KLUNK that i mentioned was when S.T tried starting it..and when i heard something was not right on the motorway i DID pull over and thats when it stalled!
Old 28 June 2006, 03:13 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

The 1st time was a bottom end knocking,2nd time it was only running on 3 pistons and wasnt delt with till i did the 1k run-in.This will be the 3rd time if it needs a rebuild. thx
Old 28 June 2006, 03:20 PM
Blingscooby
Scooby Regular

Just a quick question, did you pay for a new oil pump fitting and even a water pump. Just a thought as if one of these have failed and caused your engine problem no warrenty in the world will cover you.
Old 28 June 2006, 03:32 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blingscooby
Just a quick question, did you pay for a new oil pump fitting and even a water pump. Just a thought as if one of these have failed and caused your engine problem no warrenty in the world will cover you.

I was told a new/recon pump was used i think, but with a ENGINE rebuild shouldnt parts like that be replaced anyway?
Old 28 June 2006, 04:02 PM
New_scooby_04

I was told a new/recon pump was used i think, but with a ENGINE rebuild shouldnt parts like that be replaced anyway?
Seriously mate, give David at Api a ring, he's a nice guy and will give advice without obligation! At least that way, you'll have some idea what you should and shouldn't be getting!

Ns04
Old 28 June 2006, 04:08 PM
andyd9577
Scooby Regular

Before i carry on i would like to clear up 1 thing SCOOBY TEKNIX didnt build the engines,as it was sent off to a 3rd party engine builder!!!thankz!
and sorry if i implied they was the people who carried out the work!Dont get me wrong Andy is a good guy but you have to understand the time and inconvenience it has caused me over the 3month period.

There has been no extra cost as everthing was under warranty,and NO i dont rag the ***** out of the car.The only reason the car was on the motorway doing 70ish is because i had 2 make my way down to S.T otherwise i keep away from them...as it is a RA motorways aint the place to drive! I am the 1st uk owner, the car was mint apart from a bottom end knocking which started bout 60-70miles after i got it (which was not very loud) and was taken to S.T.The KLUNK that i mentioned was when S.T tried starting it..and when i heard something was not right on the motorway i DID pull over and thats when it stalled!

Thanks for amending your original post Gary,

Scoobyteknix use 3rd party engine builders, we offer the warranties and give the best service possible to many customers,so any comebacks we stand the bill, to ensure customer satisfaction,

as we both now know the engine has siezed due to overheating, due to NO water in the coolant system and being driven maybe a little further than it should have , further inspections are being carried out as we speak to find out why the water has gone,

hope this rectifies a few thoughts people have

Andy = Scoobyteknix
Old 28 June 2006, 07:03 PM
albert sponge
Scooby Regular

i had a engine re build by scoobyteknix done 3500 miles since engine built never had a problem with it running sweet
Old 28 June 2006, 07:28 PM
speedflash
Scooby Regular

i have had dealings with scoobyteknix in past and had no problems good guys there and good service . you said it had lost all its water did you not see this or smell water/antifreeze?? a stone could have punctured your radiator on motorway ?? think you have just had some bad luck???
Old 28 June 2006, 09:17 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

How long after changing to full synth did your engine woes happen, as it's been known even cars serviced by main dealers to die not long after an oil change.
Old 28 June 2006, 11:15 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jim litten
How long after changing to full synth did your engine woes happen, as it's been known even cars serviced by main dealers to die not long after an oil change.

Hi jim...it had only been a week since oil change and only covered 100 miles or so. thx
Old 28 June 2006, 11:21 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Seriously mate, give David at Api a ring, he's a nice guy and will give advice without obligation! At least that way, you'll have some idea what you should and shouldn't be getting!

Ns04
Cheers mate i've spoke 2 david and he was very helpfull. Hopefully we'l have this problem solved and il be back on the road soon.

thanx
Old 28 June 2006, 11:41 PM
mini vs scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedflash
i have had dealings with scoobyteknix in past and had no problems good guys there and good service . you said it had lost all its water did you not see this or smell water/antifreeze?? a stone could have punctured your radiator on motorway ?? think you have just had some bad luck???

Dont get me wrong i've had my clutch done there and steering rack,and they did a good job.Only problem i've had is the engine failing to run right! nope no smell water/antifreeze or smoke/steam...the only time it did smoke was for about 10 sec after the car stalled. Bad luck?? for three months....hmm....guess lottery out of the question lol!!