Notices

Oil problem...........any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 09:12 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil problem...........any advice?

Hi there. Have a small problem with the oil in my car, just wanted to check it out with you guys.
I've been using Castrol GTX Magnatec 10-40 since I've had my mildly modded 1994 wrx and had no problems whatsoever. However, my last oil change a few weeks ago I decided to try a cheapo halfords own brand fully synthetic oil for track days and enthusiastic driving. The grade is 5-50. I thought it would be better as its fully synthetic and was only a couple of quid more than the castrol.
However, I have now started to notice that I can heard a kind of tickedy sound from the engine that I've never heard before. Is the oil I've changed to too thin? Should I switch it back to Castrol soon or just wait til I've covered the usual 5k miles I do before changes. Has anyone else had anything like this before? Is it likely my engine is being damaged?

Any help/advice would be appreciated........not exactly an expert on these things me.

Thanks
Steve
Old 24 June 2006, 09:23 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

sounds a bit thin to me.also not sure if magnatec is fully synthetic.i use millers 10w 60 in my type r.Would recommend you change your oil from whats in there at the mo.Everyone will have their own recommendation.Personally i wouldnt use magnatec either.
chris
Old 24 June 2006, 09:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive used magnatec in all my cars, never had a problem, even with hydraulic lifters that usually get starved on cold start up, magnatec sorts them out !
Old 25 June 2006, 10:48 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I know magnatec isn't fully synthetic, but the stuff i've put in there is. I had a good listen to the engine again tonight and couldn't really hear anything worrying, but it definitely sounded a bit funny yesterday. I think I'll give it a bit longer and see how it goes. I'll be going back to 10-40 next time though.

Steve
Old 25 June 2006, 10:53 PM
Timothy Morphy
Scooby Regular

I was warned off magnatec by Turbo Dynamics when i had a turbo serviced. Theres also quite a few people on hear who also agree its cheap rubbish.
I was told it blocks oil lines to the turbo.
The ticking isn't your boost sol is it?

Tim
Old 26 June 2006, 01:57 AM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

It will be as you said... the oil too thin. Your supposed too flush the engine when swapping from semi to fully synthetic because it can clog. Stick with the semi if I was you, unless you thinking of going nuts in your motor every time you get in it. Ring your local scooby dealer and see what they put in em.
Old 26 June 2006, 08:17 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

NEVER flush a scooby engine (would have second thoughtds about most others!!)

if you ned to 'flush' an engine thro' buy some cheap 10w40 and run off boost for a 100miles or so, drain and re-fill with decent stuff................

wouldn't personally ever use Magnatec, for one its an awful lot of money for a part synth oil without discussing its supposed benefits or not as is the case!!

in a 'classic' i would never use less than a 10w (unless there are very specific reasons like climate, etc,).............and stick with better quality stuff!!

alyn