Notices

air filter puts eml on !

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 03:50 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter puts eml on !

Hi all , have just removed the standard air box on pppsti and replaced with a high flow cone on an adapter with the air mass meter in it .Problem is at higher rpm feeling like holding back and eml comes on with a pcode of 103 ( air mass flow to high ) and ideas of how i can correct this , if not just had to put oem airbox back and use a panel filter .
cheers
Old 24 June 2006, 08:58 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Looks like it's altered the way the maf is seeing the airflow so it's reading it differently. I guess it's reading high and therefore running rich, hence the holding back. You either need a remap by someone who knows what they are doing or put it back to std.

Mike
Old 24 June 2006, 10:40 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Surely you should'nt need to get the ecu remapped for a change in the airfilter only , as other people can't all be getting remaps when fitting an after market filter only. The car has the prodrive remapped ecu anyway. I had a high flow filter on a bugeye wrx and had no problems , but that was a standard ecu with a cold air intake setup , this one i have mounted in the engine bay with the cone just in front of the airbox outlet that is under the wing and the oem air intake scoop still present . Only thing not sure of is if the maf is to close to the airfilter ( about 3 inch from the base of the filter ) and causing the hotwire to cool to quick and making the ecu think there is more much air coming in then there actually is due to the rate the hotwire is being cooled ? perhaps if the filter was on a longer intake pipe before the maf the air would not be as cold ?
Has anybody got a similar setup on a sti ppp my05 , and have you had any problems ?