Notices

Does 95RON harm a standard wrx

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2006, 12:21 AM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does 95RON harm a standard wrx

don't want to get into the usual "I distinctly noticed an extra 1.7bhp at the flywheel after using Optimax" that these sort of questions raise, but...

my local garage is a Shell so I have the choice to optimax or not. Whilst I don't mind paying the very reasonable price for Optimax (Just 100.9p per litre, bless them), would it actually do the car any harm if I used standard shell unleaded?

I appreciate that I might lose 5-10 bhp (as proved by 5th gear a few years back on an STI), but that still leaves in excess of 200 to accelerate up to the Gatso with, so not really an issue. The car is a totally standard uk wrx, driven sensibly, unless some gimp in a BMW (usually) thinks he can cut you up on a motorway on slip.

I'm paying enough in servicing and insurance to not really worry about fuel costs, but if 95RON doesn't harm the engine, I can make the choice whether to go for the extra bhp or not.
Old 07 June 2006, 12:28 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

normall rule of thumb is imports or tuned cars need higher than 95ron

standard newage wrx will run better on 97 ( sure topgear said 10 bhp)

when you have paid stupid insurance /tax /tyres etc etc etc why skimp on a few pence on petrol

play hard pay hard
Old 07 June 2006, 09:05 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Ive had a 93wrx for nearly 6 years, the first 2 of them my car never saw anything other than Normal unleaded. It was totally standard. I used to load it to the built to take my kids camping every 3 weeks, and it never missed a beat....infact it didnt seem to like optimax.

Then i found scoobynet ..... i got the mod bug. 2 years later, i got a bad oil change, and i think thats what took out my engine - (crank bearings - whatever)

Im now running a 94 RA engine, with full decat and a 300bhp remap.... and if i know im not going to cane it, it still gets Normal Unleaded, but if i know im going to be taking it out for a play, then Optimax it is..without any doubts.

Optimax IS 98.5 - 98.6 RON depending on which technician/ engineer/ manager/or sales rep you can speak to at Stanlow Oil refinery where it comes from......(i teach their apprentices) .............it is definately better for your engine over a long period of time....and yes its closer to the RON rating the car was designed to be used on.

Some will go to putting octane booster in aswell..... the nearest my car has got to that stuff, is parked outside Halfrauds.

Someone will tell me im wrong, and im talking from my bottom .... but thats my experience .... noy saying it will be right for your car.

Frank