Notices

Turbo Timer? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2006, 09:29 AM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Timer? Yes or no?

Is it recommended to fit a turbo timer to my MY02 Bug?

Its running standard at the mo with the exception of a K&N panel but im always paranoid when i go to turn her off, so sit in her ticking over for about 5 mins to let the turbo wind down. Ive been told that turning her off immediatly is when turbo damage is most likly to occur with hot oil still sat in the turbo.

If it is recommended which model timer would you recommend. Seen a few Apexi ones on Ebay, but i might just do it properly and go the whole hog, get one with adjustable boost and all the other singing and dancing extras available?

Thanks

Old 06 June 2006, 10:01 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by h4rry
A turbo timer will void any CAT1 alarm system on your vehicle, as your car will left running unattended.

HTH when deciding what to get.
Old 06 June 2006, 10:15 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

In a word yes, I would recommend one.

However, legally it's an offence to leave your vehicle unattended in the UK with the engine running.

This questions been asked a few times now and your'll get a mixed response.

Never had a turbo without 1.
Old 06 June 2006, 10:23 AM
Hugo Atlantis
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I think is most useful... When you come in a rush driveing your car and heating the turbo, you will not have time to sit and wait to turn it off. I absolutly recommend it.
About the car running, one of the wires goes strictly to the hand brake, and once is lowered when counting down time he imidiatly shuts down. Other than that, the steering wheel will lock if turning it without the key, so I don't think there is a reason to be scared about this. If they have to steal it, it's not because of the turbo timer.

Best regards
Old 06 June 2006, 10:31 AM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Id already read about this and i think there are TT's out there that insurance companies recognise if fitted by an approved technician.

I will check this out, but you can get out the car and set the alarm/immobilisor and as stated above, the engine can be cut out via a wire to the handbrake, and steering lock.
Old 06 June 2006, 02:11 PM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

yes get one, no reason not to really even if you only use it when in a rush. i was wondering why mine didnt work when i park my car at work, have to park in a garage and leave handbrake down so car can be pushed uif someone wants to get out and im blocking em. engine kept cutting out a few seconds after taking key out and i never knew why..guess its cos the handbrake is down lol thats sorted that little problem. But h4rry yea they are very useful, can also cut it out with your alarm pad if set up that way
Old 06 June 2006, 02:54 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by h4rry

Its running standard at the mo with the exception of a K&N panel but im always paranoid when i go to turn her off, so sit in her ticking over for about 5 mins to let the turbo wind down. Ive been told that turning her off immediatly is when turbo damage is most likly to occur with hot oil still sat in the turbo.

If it is recommended which model timer would you recommend. Seen a few Apexi ones on Ebay, but i might just do it properly and go the whole hog, get one with adjustable boost and all the other singing and dancing extras available?

Thanks

Waiting 5 mins is alittle abit of an over kill....usually is near 2 mins if driving hard...though you could just take it easy for a mile or so before you park up...
Old 06 June 2006, 03:13 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

TBF thats what i do when on my way home, but its the first turbo car ive owned and it aint exactly the cheapest if i do **** anything on it, so just paraniod i guess.

Any advice on what TT to get, or how much to pay for one? What are the new ones on ebay like??
Old 06 June 2006, 05:31 PM
Hugo Atlantis
Scooby Regular

I have a BLITZ DCII that is either a turbo-timer and turbo pressure gauge. It is very nice because you can hide the box while you can keep the display in sight. Other exellent option is the apexi one that combines turbo-timer and AFR, and it is even cheaper than the Blitz, and you can also hide it and leave the display out.

Best regards
Old 06 June 2006, 08:37 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean about the paranoia but I wouldn't worry too much as long as your sensible with your driving. I'm over mine now.

If I've just ambled home from work, or been on a short journey without any high revs, hard acceleration, etc I tend to turn off the ignition almost straight away.

If I've been out on a hard run, I'll drive the last couple of miles off boost at low speeds and then let it run for a minute or so before turning off the ignition.

A good habit to get into is to turn off the ignition as the last thing you do every time you finish your journey. So if you've been to Tesco, leave the engine running while you unload the shopping from the boot. If you have kids in child seats, get the kids out of the car before you turn off the igntion.

You get the idea.
Old 06 June 2006, 09:03 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Id second that..turbo timers aren't neccesary really..
Just take into consideration the last section of ur journey to where you will be stopping.... Turbo timers are for lazy ppl, i prefer to sit in my car for a min or so if iv been givin it hell for leather ect
Old 07 June 2006, 01:56 AM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by codfather
Id second that..turbo timers aren't neccesary really..
Just take into consideration the last section of ur journey to where you will be stopping.... Turbo timers are for lazy ppl, i prefer to sit in my car for a min or so if iv been givin it hell for leather ect
there was me thinking i liked my turbo timer so i didnt have to sit on my **** in the car, i could just jump out alarm her up and do what ive gotta do... how lazy is that of me! you prefer to sit in your car and be very active i guess!
Old 07 June 2006, 03:42 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

New age cars don't need them m8, the turbo is cooled after the engine is turned off by a clever use of water convection.

Dipster
Old 07 June 2006, 09:12 AM
Hugo Atlantis
Scooby Regular

I guess the point is to cool down the turbo and not the engine, althought it helps

Best Regards
Old 07 June 2006, 09:35 AM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
New age cars don't need them m8, the turbo is cooled after the engine is turned off by a clever use of water convection.

Dipster
Yup this is what i thought, but the prev owner of my scoob still fitted a TT tis one built into the clifford alarm, i just use it as a matter of course anyway, also seems to be on a thermostat as it stays on longer if i have been givin it some.
Old 07 June 2006, 09:47 AM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Thats why im after one that has other uses too.

Hugo - How much did you pay for your blitz, and where is the best place to look for this or an apexi one?? Thanks
Old 07 June 2006, 09:48 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You'll loose the transponder key function if you fit a turbo timer. The only reason I have never fitted one to mine.
Old 07 June 2006, 10:04 AM
mulf
Scooby Regular

hi

See this somewhere towards the bottom page 5 explains why you don't need one anymore
http://www.endwrench.com/current/win...03/insider.pdf
and this more detailed
http://www.spdusa.com/turbo_timer.htm
Old 07 June 2006, 10:08 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

waste of money and voids insurance.

your choice though
HTH
Old 07 June 2006, 11:07 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
waste of money and voids insurance.

your choice though
HTH
Thats what I said, post #2

But your choice.
Old 07 June 2006, 12:50 PM
Hugo Atlantis
Scooby Regular

I bought my Blitz CDII about a year and a half ago from ebay and it costed me about 155€ - £103 including postage to Portugal. Now-a-days you can find an Apexi one including AFR (Also very useful) much more cheaper. If you already have a turbo gauge, this will be the better choice to you. Just make a search on e-bay for "turbo-timer" You will have pleanty to choose from

Best Regards
Old 07 June 2006, 01:53 PM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
You'll loose the transponder key function if you fit a turbo timer. The only reason I have never fitted one to mine.
No you dont, the transponder key is only asked for to start the car, all the turbo timer does is keep the pulse to the ignition live for a set period after u take ignition key out. You only lose transponder key if u fit something like intelistart
Old 07 June 2006, 02:04 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

PMSL, that was the reason I never fitted on in the last 4 years I've had this car!
Old 07 June 2006, 02:07 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

This is about the 4th question ive asked now with mixed views, i never thought becoming a Scoob owner would be so bloody complicated!! haha

I think that unless i can find a very cheep one that is a good quality make i wont bother, especially after reading the links posted above!

Thanks for advice anyways guys!
Old 07 June 2006, 02:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Basically, if you have some common sense, you don't need a turbo timer. That doesn't mean that I dont see tha advantages of having one, but i've coped this long without needing one so.....
Old 07 June 2006, 02:55 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had one for the sake of it...looked good though...

Behind the steering Wheel..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...u/01-05_24.jpg

decided not to get one for the STI 8....