Notices

Whistling STi 7 after PPP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2006, 11:03 PM
WRXewl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling STi 7 after PPP upgrade

Yes I have done a search but I cant see a close enough thread.

When running there is a slight whistle like a person whistling and is MUCH louder when driving and the pitch gets higher as the revs rise, the boost doesn't seem as much anymore and the boost comes in about 1000 rpm further up the rev range. I have had a quick check of the hoses but cant see anything obviously wrong.

Only part of the PPP that would have gone near the engine bay would be the downpipe, could that be leaking ? I have only had the car since October so im still on a learning curve here.

TIA
Old 05 June 2006, 12:42 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

Could be one of the boost pipes, that you mentioned, do they change the restrictor with the ppp upgrade? leave it started and pop your head in the engine bay, find where it's coming from, never heard about down pipe problems, It would be best to keep off boost until you find the problem...if there is one...
Old 05 June 2006, 02:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The intercooler and associated pipes is usually removed to gain better access to the downpipe. Possibly one of the hoses hasn't been tightened up properly or maybe split or blown off. The feed hose under the intercooler is a likely curlprit.
Old 08 June 2006, 09:34 PM
WRXewl
Scooby Regular

Took it to the dealership today and the mechanic looked a bit confused when I was describing the problem. He did take the DV off only to find the bottom of the DV gasket was folded over 180 upwards and so I was also leaking from the gasket. With all the traffic I could not get a chance to see it was solved or not. Once out of traffic tried it and nope its not fixed the whistling is still there coming from under the intercooler between the turbo and the intercooler/intake manifold pipe. Gonna take it back and tell them to refit the intercooler checking EVERY pipe.......argh