Notices
View Poll Results: Which suspension geometry do you run on your Classic?
Prodrive
21.43%
Whiteline
35.71%
Powerstation
14.29%
Other tuner/custom settings
14.29%
Subaru standard
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Geometry: Whiteline vs. Prodrive vs. Powerstation

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 01:24 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geometry: Whiteline vs. Prodrive vs. Powerstation

Welcome to this no bull****/no assumptions/no vested interests thread...

Most people on here are convinced of the value of fettling the suspension geometry to get it how you want it, and in general the bias seems to be towards getting the front end to bite and the rear end to work a bit harder. But the thing that perplexes me, is which geometry settings to go for. I'd really value people's opinions who've actually tried them out themselves (on Classics, if that makes a difference). I've scoured quite a few threads on this subject and what comes out is that:
  1. Not everyone seems to quite agree on what the 'Prodrive settings' exactly are but in general it seems to be max negative camber and a little toe in all round.
  2. Whiteline settings seem a lot more clear and there is a lot of support material published about it - but they recommend the exact opposite of Prodrive and have toe OUT on the rear in an effort to encourage more oversteer and thus negate understeer.
  3. Everyone who's been to Powerstation sings their praises and recommends that I go over to get my geometry sorted out, but there seems to be no hard facts as to what the actual 'Powerstation' settings are.
So how have people found their settings and can they add a bit of tech info? As Whiteline/Autospeed explain it, everything makes a lot of sense and I have in fact run their 'touring settings' since last year, with Whiteline front and rear droplinks and a 22mm adjustable ARB on the hardest setting. At no time have I felt that the lift-off oversteer was beyond me, in fact I find it controllable and workable on tight corners. I still find that I'm getting understeer which I don't like. Next step is the anti lift kit anyway.

The Whiteline rear toe out/front straight makes sense to me. The Prodrive toe in all round approach I find hard to understand. Surely it'll just wear all the tyres out equally badly on their outer edges and each tyre will just work against what all the others are doing? I can visualise how toe in on the front will help the front end to dig in, but surely toe in on the rear is simply going to drag the loaded-up outside rear tyre across the road in a cornering situation?

And as for Powerstation? Well I've no idea what their settings are. It seems to be some kind of masonic secret that only the initiated can know! But suspension is suspension. Surely it can't be that much of a departure from the two different approaches above? BTW I understand that an acknowledged suspension expert such as Powerstation have their own commercial interest to think about and that people recommend them highly. But the simple fact is that Brussels and Amsterdam are both closer to me than Cheltenham and I've got a perfectly good 4-wheel alignment place who will work to my settings, only half an hour up the road.

All helpful opinions welcomed!

Last edited by silent running; 30 May 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 30 May 2006, 06:31 PM
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for running my Sti v3 on stock set-up (very poor)
Radical Whiteline for 2 years ( good to say the least)
Powerstation (brilliant to say the least)

As some know I could go on about Impreza suspension and have in my thread in Projects.
Will be interesting to see the conclusion.

Powerstation in action (so no bull ****)
http://www.dropshots.com/daymainfram...0030101&cimg=0
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...3&ctime=011204

Graham
Old 02 June 2006, 09:31 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Cheers Graham!

Any other opinions?