Notices

downpipe techie help needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2006, 06:42 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe techie help needed

I fitted the decat downpipe the other day took it out for a run and there was a vibration when I got home did not have enough time to look under the car.
So yesterday I went down to the car a notice that by fitting the downpipe it had moved the angle of the rest of the exhaust so the back box had no moved left and up touching the bumper which in turn started to melt it!!??!! not happy (mind you don't know if it was something I done wrong?) I went under the car to re-look at the downpipe and noticed it was resting against the bolt that you can see in the below pic's;

I had to use all of my weight to pull to from the bolt but when I let it go it would just spring back up and rest on the bolt above - so if I'm thinking right the vibration would be coming from touching the bolt and also because of this it has thrown the line of the rest of the exhaust out causing the problem with the back box.

For the mo I have just put the standard downpipe back on.

Question is the downpipe I bought is for a 93-00 classic and mine is a 96 sti V3 so I thought it should fit without any probs?? is there something I could be missing or have done wrong?? should the downpipe come anywhere near that bolt??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Alan wrx-sti; 28 May 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 28 May 2006, 10:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what downpipe make?

did it slot into the gearbox exhaust mount okay?

Simon
Old 28 May 2006, 11:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

downpipe should be okay.
Did you attach it back to the exhaust gearbox mount? IF yoiu did and its still doing it, look near the gearbox mount and there is a black bracket that the exhaust fits under. Loosen this and move it over to the nearside and then re tighten. I had problems when I initially fitted mine as it vibrated against said mount, however by moving it, it has solved the problem. It was very noticeable at slow speed in reverse, like a clanging sound, however forward gears gave it to but at a higher speed.
Old 30 May 2006, 04:00 PM
armogedden57
Scooby Regular

have you fitted new exhaust rubbers? that can have a marked effect on where the exhaust sits