Notices

Classics- the early ones and the later ones......

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 09:49 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Classics- the early ones and the later ones......

where is the turbo on the later one and why is there no mesh for it like on earlier ones ?

later one, no mesh at top left of pic

Old 14 May 2006, 06:54 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo is in the same place on all imprezas, and always has been. Follow your exhaust up into the engine bay and its on the end of that, near the bulkhead on the passenger side

dont know what you mean by mesh? if you are on about the big black radiator looking thing on top of the engine then thats an intercooler. all imprezas have had that as well, unless you see a modified car with it behind the bumper.
Old 14 May 2006, 06:55 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cool,its just on all later preza i hacve seen,they dont have the filter thing above it,is it supposed too ?
Old 14 May 2006, 07:19 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that is just a duct pipe from the bonnet for cool air to go onto the turbo, and the mesh is to stop bits from going onto the turbo
Old 14 May 2006, 09:30 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Yeah he's talking about the air duct for the turbo... Later ones just have a little metal guard IIRC.. They also have a straight inlet which is why you dont see the 90 degree bend from the turbo to the airbox like on the earlier ones.
Old 14 May 2006, 09:43 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

wheres this little metal gurad then, as has been said, cheers, the older ones had that duct with the mesh, but where is the newer little one, the older one was to the bottom left of the intercooler, is it near here still, cant see it in the pic !?!?!?

cheers all
Old 23 May 2006, 10:34 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

what i mean is, in this pic, you can see the bonnet plate is totally different to the early ones, hence no part for the turbo duct to get its air,and no turbo air duct in site,

yet, in this pic, theres a bonnet vent space,u can just see it to the top left ????

Old 23 May 2006, 10:47 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

not to sure what youre syaing but the top pic is from a UK and the bottom fro an import as the angle of the intercooler vents is diff i the imports and the bottom one has FMIC not TMIC, ( Front Mounted Intercooler and Top Mounted Inter Cooler just in case you didnt know )

hope it might help ? ?
Old 23 May 2006, 10:56 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah, i know they are top uk,bottom import, but i mean, on thetop one, there is no gap to the left of the main scoop,but in bottom, there is a gap for the turbo duct, even tho it doesnt have TMIC.

make sense ?

thought not LOL
Old 23 May 2006, 11:15 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

er... sorta i think LOL

if youre meaning the three lil slats on the top pic to the left of the main IC intake then yup thats for the turbo and the bottom pic hasnt got this but then it dont need it does it as its got FMIC although its prolly not always had that so id guess that it never had a duct , dont know whetehr thats an import thing ? or whether its the ages of the two cars as the bottom one is a 93 front dunno bout the other ?
Old 24 May 2006, 08:36 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
yeah, i know they are top uk,bottom import, but i mean, on thetop one, there is no gap to the left of the main scoop,but in bottom, there is a gap for the turbo duct, even tho it doesnt have TMIC.

make sense ?

thought not LOL
The top one is a face lift model that has a straight entry turbo and a bigger intercooler, there is no room for the turbo cooling duct on these so they just have a large heat sheild, the turbo still lives down the left side of the engine, if you follow the pipe from the air box it goes under the inlet manifold and into the side of the turbo..

The bottom photo is of an earlier model with the smaller intercooler and it would have had the air duct for the turbo as there is space for it.. You'll also notice the 90 degree entry on the turbo.
Old 24 May 2006, 05:31 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular