Notices

Cooling system problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 06:34 PM
KENSHIRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system problems

ok here goes i have a 95 wrx which the other day started leaking from the yellow cap behind the passenger headlight due to pressure in the system ....ive replaced the yellow cap, replaced the thermostat and it is still leaking there is no loss of power and the temp gauge is staying constant.......

took it for a pressure test yesterday and it confirmed that i had carbonated water in the water system head gasket i was told that it had been like that a while .......but there is no imulsified oil in the water and no oil loss or any noticable power loss..............its just pushing water out of the yellow cap?

ok so im booked in for 2 head gaskets at the unhappy price of £1000 inc vat

but i was advised to check the compression on the pistons as with it being an import it needs super fuel...........................

heres the question i know the previous owner only ran it on optimax ....and i have too my question is if the owner before him put unleaded in would it affect my pistons at this stage ? even tho the car still goes like a rocket ?????????????? and would any piston probelms affect the water system in the way it has on mine

appritiate any input guys

phil

Last edited by KENSHIRO; 09 May 2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10 May 2006, 01:49 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Scoob engine tends to when the head gaskets go just pressure the cooling system..

£1000 to replace the head gaskets seems a bit much..

compression is either likely to be okay or not.. no point worrying about what fuel the previous to previous owner ran in it. . if it were damaged then you would likely know about it before now..

Simon