Notices

Bottom end knocking... fcuk... what to do now...

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2006, 03:56 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bottom end knocking... ****... what to do now...

MAF failure... (apparently) span a bearing shell... still idles.. when revved at-all get loud knock... bugger... what to do now.. rulled the fuel map out as the car has been very strong for a while... NEVER running with a MAF again.. map only next time.... this is ironically a NEW MAF... albeit my own fault for attaching the MAF / Induction kit combo to the header tank thus lots of vibrations and a killed MAF.. let that be a warning to all...

Ok so whatever happens the engine has to come out... Options @ this point are it seems...

1. Remove engine, inspect, replace spun shell & possibly rod (assuming nothing else i wrong.. ) labour + parts etc etc I'm looking @ circa 1k to 1.5k perhaps...

2. Purchase used STi bottom end (unkown history.. why is it being sold... if it's from an accident damaged car... oil starvation... was it on its roof?! could be in a worse state... then again might not...) circa £700 maybe + fitting?

3. Purchase a brand new 2.0 STi short block... £1000 ?

4. Purchase a brand new 2.5 short block £1,200 - £1,500... ?

5. Sell on as a Project needing some TLC* ...

6. Buy a mondeo and forget all about this silly modding* business...

7. Head to the pub... maybe that should be option 1. ...

Suggestions welcomed guys.... car is A1 other than this and an awsome drive... cannot commit 'too-much' money but it would appear that bang-for-buck the 2.5 option is V tempting.....

Rough spec for refference...

STi Classic V5...
Defi Oil Pres, Temp & Boost
TD05-20G
Walbro In-tank
Apexi (Mapped by Andy)
Hybrid FMIC
K&N Induction kit
Nismo 720cc Injectors (70% duty)
Decat 3" all the way back to an Apexi 4" ubber-loud
Motul 15-50 (changed EVERY 5k)
Every service documented from new.. Scoobynet user owned from new..
Old 17 April 2006, 04:01 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am in exactly the same boat and have a bought an engine from an sti 4 with 18000 warranted miles and im getting the car back on the road for £1400 all in. I have also recouped some money by selling my old heads.

banny
Old 17 April 2006, 04:06 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
I am in exactly the same boat and have a bought an engine from an sti 4 with 18000 warranted miles and im getting the car back on the road for £1400 all in. I have also recouped some money by selling my old heads.

banny
Nice one, is that all lubricants, engine out & in drive away price?

How much labour in terms of time is involved?

Cheers
Old 17 April 2006, 04:12 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

That is everything done drive away price, i would say roughly 3 hours to do an engine swap but im adding exactly the same mods you have at the same time including new headers.
The guy i am getting the work carried out from has a complete block from a P1 if you are interested.
Old 17 April 2006, 04:17 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

That is everything done drive away price, i would say roughly 3 hours to do an engine swap but im adding exactly the same mods you have at the same time including new headers.
The guy i am getting the work carried out from has a complete block from a P1 if you are interested.
I was wondering about the turbo swap & injectors.. sounds a fair price tho mate, hope it works out for you.
Old 17 April 2006, 04:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I also considered the 2.5 route but prefer the revvy nature of the 2 ltr, as this would be lost with the 2.5 i decided against that option.
Old 17 April 2006, 04:52 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

I also considered the 2.5 route but prefer the revvy nature of the 2 ltr, as this would be lost with the 2.5 i decided against that option.
True, the 20G with a 2.5 would mean an earlier spool and less lag eash to their own. We shall see. Cheers
Old 17 April 2006, 04:54 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending upon the damage your existing engine could be rebuilt for around 2k

A 2.5 build would cost in the region of 2.5k, and would be a very good match to your existing mods
Old 17 April 2006, 06:18 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim W
Depending upon the damage your existing engine could be rebuilt for around 2k

A 2.5 build would cost in the region of 2.5k, and would be a very good match to your existing mods
Thanks, for a 2k rebuild on the exisiting block I would be having uprated rods & pistons methinks. The 2.5 block would cost me around £1,500 - I think I can deliver it cheaper all in.. Perhaps not but will try to make it as other half friendly as possible.. I'll need to search to see exactly what I need to include other than the base short block.. gaskets.. oil pump? and such...
Old 17 April 2006, 06:23 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

STI V9 crank, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, arp bolts, acl bearings (main and big end), uprated oil pump and all the gaskets. The cost for all these parts comes to about £1700, then you need to factor in the machining of the block if that needs honing and the labour of the rebuild.
So all in you are looking the thick end of 3k to have the car ready to drive, if you are going to rebuild the existing block using uprated parts.

Banny
Old 17 April 2006, 06:55 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

STI V9 crank, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, arp bolts, acl bearings (main and big end), uprated oil pump and all the gaskets. The cost for all these parts comes to about £1700, then you need to factor in the machining of the block if that needs honing and the labour of the rebuild.
So all in you are looking the thick end of 3k to have the car ready to drive, if you are going to rebuild the existing block using uprated parts.

Banny
True, assuming your paying UK prices.. A lot of options to mull over... the used route is tempting if I can find an engine with paperwork perhaps thats a go-er. Interesting the V9 crank is stonger?
Old 17 April 2006, 07:00 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

The V9 crank is cross drilled providing better oil supply to the bearings and is stronger due to being nitrided.
Old 17 April 2006, 08:02 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

The V9 crank is cross drilled providing better oil supply to the bearings and is stronger due to being nitrided.
Cheers, i had considered getting the existing crank nitrided, the v9. is this around the £300 mark?
Old 17 April 2006, 08:16 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
1. Remove engine, inspect, replace spun shell & possibly rod (assuming nothing else i wrong.. ) labour + parts etc etc I'm looking @ circa 1k to 1.5k perhaps...
What robbing c*nt quoted you that?

Sorry but if thats all they are doing then they want stringing up for quoting you that.
Old 17 April 2006, 08:41 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
What robbing c*nt quoted you that?

Sorry but if thats all they are doing then they want stringing up for quoting you that.
I'd like to hear everybody's take on this so no, cool thanks for adding.

Ball park quote (so far) £600-£700 + VAT + Gaskets + engine out + lubricants + possible rod / shells / machining - so looking all in 1-1.5k I guess, perhaps there are fixed prices for this kind of work (I understand.. no way of telling how bad it is... untill it's opened up.. so can appreciate difficult to quote)

Still looking for suggestions. No fixed budget but would like to deliver a solution for around 2k.... or less... as in drive away.. loath to simply replace for stock items.. as you can see from my mods.. keen to improve upon an already potent car.

Last edited by SCOOBYD00; 17 April 2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:17 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Unfair price!

Even if you take £35 as a ball park for an hourly rate, thats 20 hours JUST to do the engine work..

Disgusting.
Old 17 April 2006, 10:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

We would do such a rebuild for around £2k inc vat on a drive in, drive out basis, and funily enough we would be looking at around 20 hours of labour. Of course we could cut all the corners like [Davey] and probably save some time and money, throw in some cheap nasty head gaskets, put everything on as it came off and reuse all the parts full of the recently expired bearings.

It's a fair price, we use high quality components and I dare say in a number of builds we spend more time on it that we charge for.

paul
Old 17 April 2006, 11:38 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

And I don't suppose many quality outfits charge £35 per hour labour either
Old 18 April 2006, 01:30 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Unfair price!

Even if you take £35 as a ball park for an hourly rate, thats 20 hours JUST to do the engine work..

Disgusting.
Fair enough, what do you consider an average cost for this work - engine out - rebuild - engine in?
Old 18 April 2006, 01:32 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
We would do such a rebuild for around £2k inc vat on a drive in, drive out basis, and funily enough we would be looking at around 20 hours of labour. Of course we could cut all the corners like [Davey] and probably save some time and money, throw in some cheap nasty head gaskets, put everything on as it came off and reuse all the parts full of the recently expired bearings.

It's a fair price, we use high quality components and I dare say in a number of builds we spend more time on it that we charge for.

paul
Cheers, what would this cover - given we don't know if the rod is damaged etc.. woudl this cover any replacement parts other than the shells?
Old 18 April 2006, 02:40 PM
WRX-SHEFFIELD
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo, Sorry to here about you bottom end, my mate has same prob on his STi ver 1 its going in to Subaru Service Center (Sheffield) for possible crank grind if not to badly damaged new big & little ends and maybe a rod new uprated oil pump. He's looking at £2000 -£2300 job complete.
Old 18 April 2006, 03:10 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

This happened to me recently - managed to get hold of a guy who really knows his stuff about Scoobies, sourced me an STi Bottom end and stick all my bits on it and fitted it to my car - for a lot less than 2k.

Also quite a few sources tell me that a crank regrind is a no, no, - and is only a temp solution.
Old 18 April 2006, 03:19 PM
WRX-SHEFFIELD
Scooby Regular

Chief, can you find out why regrind is a no no as my mate's car is going in at end of month, and he will be upset if he has to go thru all this again.
Cheers Paul
Old 18 April 2006, 03:27 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=72

there was an interesting chat about Subaru cranks,here is why not to regrind cranks though

cheers
st3v3
Old 18 April 2006, 04:00 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3v3
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=72

there was an interesting chat about Subaru cranks,here is why not to regrind cranks though

cheers
st3v3
New crank circa.. £280 - I would not re-grind TBH @ that price. Machine shop labour, balancing & different sizes of shells... not sure I want to go down that route - having said that it could work out cheaper.

Aany more suggestions.. hearing a lot of 2k - 2.5k prices floating around... I can pickup a brand spanking 2.5 bottom end for £1,300 so far... looks favorite.... might ditch the 20G (has less than 4k on it.. ) and go to a GT35R.... (PM me if interested in the 20G, Downpipe etc..)
Old 18 April 2006, 04:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-SHEFFIELD
Chief, can you find out why regrind is a no no as my mate's car is going in at end of month, and he will be upset if he has to go thru all this again.
Cheers Paul
I'm no expert but when i did my homework on this, all the experts for example David at API absolutely said do not do a regrind. if you split the engine and put a new crank in for the labour time to do this you might as well but in a stronger STI bottom end.

A regrind will last you 2-3k then go pop again
Old 18 April 2006, 04:44 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

For a 2.5 check out these links flat4online do a standard 2.5 block for £1270
http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalog...ec15a6cf0a483e

or how about one of gruppe-s race spec engines with forged internals roughly £1470 for a stage one block and about £1870 for stage 2 (plus shipping):
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/submotors.htm

Might get some discount if you look into a group buy.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:10 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
For a 2.5 check out these links flat4online do a standard 2.5 block for £1270
http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalog...ec15a6cf0a483e

or how about one of gruppe-s race spec engines with forged internals roughly £1470 for a stage one block and about £1870 for stage 2 (plus shipping):
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/submotors.htm

Might get some discount if you look into a group buy.
Great links... the gruppe s race spec is tempting... 2.5 torque tempting but 2.0 built motor would still make me smile... good option
Old 18 April 2006, 05:17 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance

paul
Your refering to a full rebuild, he's talking about having just the faulty shell replaced and possible rod.

In my eyes a full re-build means just that! Down to new buckets, valves de-coked and re-ground, new seals, new oil pump, new water pump, honed bores, new rings, decoked pistons etc.

Not just lobbing a few components to replaced damaged ones.

Are we on the same wave length now?
Old 18 April 2006, 05:45 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Great links... the gruppe s race spec is tempting... 2.5 torque tempting but 2.0 built motor would still make me smile... good option
Yeap something i'm going to look into, have to find out how much the shipping would be though, quite fancy a stage 2 coupled with either a TD06 20G or a Garret GT30. I need a stronger gearbox first though, think my uk box would last about a week if i was luckly.

Quick Reply: Bottom end knocking... fcuk... what to do now...