Notices

Waste gate connections

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 09:53 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waste gate connections

Whilst working on the car today i stripped of the induction kit back to the "air chamber" (the next big plastic box "after" the MAF). Ive never had the air system stripped this far back. Anyway i found that the small pipe that goes into the bottom if the air chamber was broken off. The other end of this pipe goes to the wastegate solenoid. The botom connection of it (i think). Im in the prosses of trying to repair the nipple on the air chamber. The car hasnt been running too badly but seemed a little "dull". I dont think i broke this nipple today since the broken surfaces were quite dirty.
I was wondering what purpose this pipe has and what sypmtoms i should expect if its left unconnected to the Air chamber.
Old 08 April 2006, 10:15 PM
DAVETD05
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by thedeester1
Whilst working on the car today i stripped of the induction kit back to the "air chamber" (the next big plastic box "after" the MAF). Ive never had the air system stripped this far back. Anyway i found that the small pipe that goes into the bottom if the air chamber was broken off. The other end of this pipe goes to the wastegate solenoid. The botom connection of it (i think). Im in the prosses of trying to repair the nipple on the air chamber. The car hasnt been running too badly but seemed a little "dull". I dont think i broke this nipple today since the broken surfaces were quite dirty.
I was wondering what purpose this pipe has and what sypmtoms i should expect if its left unconnected to the Air chamber.
Hello there if its the same as mine .its just a closed loop circuit where it just lets the air bled from the turbo and boost solinoid pass back in to the induction .i would say it may effect your car as it would be sucking air from the broken pipe bypassing the maf sensor, plus the air from the fillter intake . plus any dirt that gets sucked in will not be fillterd .my spellings crap .hope this helps.
Old 08 April 2006, 10:26 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Looks like i better repair it then. Its not proving too easy to glue though. Its been a bad week for me money wise. The car has been pretty left alone for a long time. However this week i shelled out for new plugs, a crank postition sensor and a delimiter. This week has stood me at around 300 quid and a dealer part air chamber i guess wont be cheap?
Old 09 April 2006, 12:40 PM
STI8U
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thedeester1
Looks like i better repair it then. Its not proving too easy to glue though. Its been a bad week for me money wise. The car has been pretty left alone for a long time. However this week i shelled out for new plugs, a crank postition sensor and a delimiter. This week has stood me at around 300 quid and a dealer part air chamber i guess wont be cheap?
I don't think they are too expensive it is just a PITA to install the turbo inlet pipe to which the BCS hose connects. Right at the turbo inlet, you should be able to see a very tall barb with a hose connected to it - you pretty much need to remove the intake manifold to get the turbo inlet pipe in under the manifold...

You might be best getting an aftermarket inlet hose - most of them delete, move or reduced the height of the rear barb meaning you can cut out your old pipe and replace with the new pipe without removing the intake manifold.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:42 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

sorry forgot to say mine is a 95 WRX. sounds like your describing a newage to me.

Well i managed to fix it. Super glue would stick but didnt have the strength. Araldite could be built up to get the strenght but wouldnt adhere to the plastic. Ended up using fibre glass resin. The niple is a size bigger now so i had to put a joint in the pipe to a bigger size. Looks a bit of a T**t but im happy im on the road for minimal cost. When ive got the Cash ill buy a new air chamber.

Last edited by thedeester1; 09 April 2006 at 12:49 PM.