Notices

Driving me Insane

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 07:55 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving me Insane

Im not bad at cars but im been driven insane by a 95 import wrx.
When the car is cold it starts and runs fine. If then the car is stopped it wont start again for about 30 minutes. Ive removed the turbo timer and the immobiliser and the problem is still there. I have spark plugs to change tomorow but i cant see them been the cause because the car runs well until you stop the damn thing. I have an idea that it might be an injector at fault but it doesnt have to be stood more than 5 minutes before it wont start.

Any ideas please? its getting to me now. Had to push the damn thing out of a petrol station today. LOL

Last edited by thedeester1; 02 April 2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02 April 2006, 08:39 PM
dja80
Scooby Regular

had a very similar problem on my 95uk, turned out to be cam and crank sensors
Old 02 April 2006, 08:44 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

You had the same problem with warm starts..Ohh i might fall in love with you. How do you replace these sensors..Like where are they. Im not so dumb that i dont know where the cams and crank are just a pointer to their location would be good ty. Is it easy to get replacements? I get most of my parts from after market. Lots of my car is now blueprint in stead of Fuji heavy industries. LOL

PS why is it the problem only comes on warm starts? Thats whats been blowing my mind!
Old 02 April 2006, 08:56 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Talking 95 WRX Crank sensor

I have a Crank Sensor I bought recently for my 95 WRX,
If you want to buy it PM me
Kev
Old 02 April 2006, 09:36 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Try giving them a clean first. My bugeye became a bit of a sod to start removed and cleaneed the cam and crank sensor seems better, as I am running a GEMS ECU not the OE unit.
Old 02 April 2006, 09:45 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Like i said the car starts on first turn unless its warm. This is whats freaking me out.. Most electrical problems come with cold or damp. Where are the sensors. Im guessing the radiator end of the engine? Or are they on the flywheel which is the gearbox end? This is a 95 wrx wagon. I could get a chassis number when its light if that helps. Im told that since mine is an Auto it is rare and easy to trace.
Old 02 April 2006, 10:35 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Crank sensor is located at the front middle of the eninge, under the alternator, easy job to do, 10mm socket. Mine had exact same problem, the internals wear over time and once warm it doesn't pick the signal up when cranking the engine. replaced mine and it's never let me down since, crank is used for starting cam is used once engine is running.

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2006, 10:42 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

TY vessy. Waiting for a reply from kev on his price! Is the sensor electronic or mechanical. Im a maintenance electrician so if its a proximity sensor that picks up from a metal "dog" passing it im quite happy with the situation. I guess i will have to remove the cam belt cover to find it yes? Only got the info on the sensor tonight and havent looked for it yet!
Old 02 April 2006, 10:51 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Elecrtic prox jobbie, mine was about £100 from subaru.

You can try to clean them as they do pick up some metal, which of course will weaken the induced signal, i did this but after a week i was left unable to start again until cooled. After several hundred warm/cold cycles the coils inside weaken, then the low spin speed of the engine during start doesn't create enough of a pulse for the ECU to read.

Think they are a bit of a weak spot and a common failure.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:42 AM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

TY its a proxistor then...ill look at it and its connections, i never buy subaru parts they are like think of a number and double it...Ill try alan kay components in doncaster (great for after market jap cars) other than that ill take a look at the prox and ill see if i can cut out the middle man and get one for 10 pounds from the real maker.
I have a lot of blueprint parts on my car, Bearings etc and they come in at about a quarter of the cost of subaru genuine parts. They are just as good in my opinion!
Old 03 April 2006, 06:10 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm
Found this in the search forums. was very helpfull. Can someone make it sticky?
I do have a Crank sensor fault. TY guys. Couldnt get an after market one though so had to pay full price at Main Dealers. Its annoyed me a bit though im a maintenace electrician and when removed it looks like about 10 quids worth of proxistor yet subaru charge 106 quid plus VAT...
Old 04 April 2006, 08:35 AM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Love subaru prices!!!!

I paid same for mine but managed to get 10% discount by saying i was SIDC member, worth a try.

worst of all was once i had bought it there was one going on Ebay!!

Have you tried cleaning it, worth a shot.
Old 04 April 2006, 06:27 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

I cleaned it yesterday when i was trying to get the numbers for an after market equivalent. Seems a bit better but has failed once since. The problem was always hit and miss anyway. Test it on the street fine, go to petrol station and get pushing LOSER!
Just got back from picking the new one up was a bit late getting there!
Will probably fit it Thursday or Friday since im busy tomorow. Hope this cures it once and for all!
I know it only takes about half an hour and i could do it now but ive been up since 5AM and i cant be bothered. Just sat down with a beer!
Old 04 April 2006, 07:09 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

had the same problem but it was a wonky engine coolant sensor.
Old 04 April 2006, 07:21 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

As i said i used
http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm
and got error code 11...Think im going in the right direction...We will see when i fit the crank sensor i guess. Fingers crossed.

I still think someone should make a sticky post to that link it took me nearly an hour to search the forum and find a full list of "correct" error codes.