Notices

How hard to fit Samco coolant hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 06:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How hard to fit Samco coolant hoses?

Think I've got a split in one of the coolant hoses so I'm going to replace the hoses with a samco set. Question is how hard is it to fit? Got basic spanner skills.

My main concern is dealing with air leaks and what coolant to use.

Ta
Old 02 April 2006, 06:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a total doddle, only marginally tricky one is the big bottom rad one, and that is only because the clip down there tends to get a lot more crap on it and might corrode/just be minging

i always fill up the coolant tank, then start the car up while leaving it with the heaters on, squeeze the odd hose to help purge the air out of the system.

top up when needed, i always try and leave it for a few mins at 50/50 hot/cold air after i have done it with heaters on hot for a while, just to put my mind at rest.

works for me
Old 02 April 2006, 07:43 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edd, changing the hoses is literally .. take one off, put one on.... i would advise new clips everywhere if you can....

I tend to re-fill the coolant, and run the engine, with the expansion tank cap off, for several minutes, until it's nicely warm, ie, hot air through the heater!! top up as necessary whilst it's running, and when it doesn't seem to be taking any more, put the lid on and go indoors for a brew!!
Old 02 April 2006, 08:00 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you run up the car as said and sqeeze the hoses you can tell if there is air because theyre soft. When they have water pumped through them they get stiffer. Mind your fingers dont get burned and dont get cought it any moving parts!!!! I usally run the car up to temp so the radiator fills up!!!! run it for another minute then let it cool. Check water level again. Most air locks work their way to the header sooner or later so keep an eye on the coolant for a few days after the change!
Old 06 April 2006, 07:51 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Fitted hoses last night but I've got 2 left over that I couldn't find the corresponding hose on the car???

One is a straight hose of about 3" long and the other is Z shape but with 90" bends and about 6" long.

Couldn't work out where these two go Job turned out to be a bit of a barsteward because I couldn't get the undercowl off due to a rounded bolt