Notices

Removed "Superchips"ABC chip..was it wise?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 07:37 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed "Superchips"ABC chip..was it wise?

Hi All, had a look under my pass floor to check what ecu i was running on(Not had wagon long!) And its a 3B, which i believe is standard...But i noticed a superchips abc box was wired into the ecu, also i have the bleed valve which is plumbed into the waste gate actuator ect..
Iv since taken this all out because im sure this isn't good for my car, but im just wanting to know if anybody else is running the same chip and is it safe??
Old 22 March 2006, 10:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you probably did the right thing IMO
Old 23 March 2006, 12:09 AM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Yea, well iv been out for a brief run tonight...reset the ecu and to be honest i cant tell the difference really Am i right in saying its just a fuel cut eliminator type? If so im guessing its better off my car than on, But im still running at about 12-13 psi & as far as im aware this is more than what the car should be capable of as standard...
Old 23 March 2006, 12:56 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

It's likely to be a fuel cut lifter like you say. You won't see any difference in performance from removing it unless the bleed valve is set to raise the boost pressure above the standard cutoff point. If you do hit fuel cut you'll know all about it (probably as your head hits the windscreen).

What year is the car as the standard boost pressure varies?

Matthew
Old 23 March 2006, 08:15 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Yea, iv been abit wary of hitting the fuel cut off point...dont want to be replacing my winderscreen yet
My car is an my95 wrx wagon import, iv just looked on the superchips website, it states that the chip raises the boost limit on your car, and with the reprogrammed computer matching the car's ignition timing and fuelling, long term reliability of the engine is retained!!??
Its supposed to give +40bhp to your car(Yea right!) and for that privilage youd have to pay.....£511.36
Look out Ebay!
Old 25 March 2006, 05:38 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

So can anybody tell me what the safe boost limit is on my car just so i know..
Old 27 March 2006, 07:44 AM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

The ScoobyEcu http://www.scoobyecu.co.uk/uploads/I...structions.doc raises the target boost to 14psi (from the standard 11.5) and the boost cut limit to 15.5psi. As it says on the site "This ECU re-map was originally provided from a well know tuning firm and has been run for many years on numerous UK and WRX Impreza"

If you are turning up the boost I'd recommend fitting Lambda and Knock links so you can monitor what is going on.

Matthew

PS
IMHO the price for the SuperChip is amazingly high - I inherited one when I bought my car, and being inquisitive took it to pieces - It only contained 5 components, total cost about a pound. Add that to the bleed valve cost and you get an incredible profit for the company/dealers.
Old 27 March 2006, 08:06 AM
scotteboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by codfather
Hi All, had a look under my pass floor to check what ecu i was running on(Not had wagon long!) And its a 3B, which i believe is standard...But i noticed a superchips abc box was wired into the ecu, also i have the bleed valve which is plumbed into the waste gate actuator ect..
Iv since taken this all out because im sure this isn't good for my car, but im just wanting to know if anybody else is running the same chip and is it safe??
i took my one out ie abc superchip to as the engine was rebuilt and did not want to be blowing holes in new pistons
Old 27 March 2006, 10:15 AM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Yea i have to say i was amazed to find what little components lie in the housing..
So are you suggesting i could well have a scooby ecu adaptor in my ecu??
Il have to look into that, anyway what would be a safe way to say raise my boost ect..but keep my car reliable