Notices

Step by step with pics needed if possible

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 02:31 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by step with pics needed if possible

I really need some help with the most simplistic of tasks however with this being my first turbo car i'm overly cautious about what i should and shold not touch.

All im wishing to do is fit a panel filter to a classic wrx.

However i can only get at two bolts on the airbox as its diagonally pointing down. I have a pipe coming from this with an electrical plug which i assume is the Maf sensor leading into the inlet manifold i believe it is.

Can anyone speak and if possible illustrate very slowly to me how i change this.

Be hugely appreciated.

Jon
Old 20 March 2006, 02:55 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Hi, you should not remove any bolts in order to fit a panel filter, there should be 2 clips that you need to loosen and then you should be able to lift of the top mount of the airbox and put aside then remove the old filter and put in the new one, assemble the box put on the clips, job done
Old 20 March 2006, 03:06 PM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

On mine (93 wrx) the air box cover was held in place by 4 bolts. From memory 3 can be reached easily the other is more tricky. (As luck would have it a previous owner had not refitted the harder to reach one on mine.)

An extension bar and long pliers is all you should need. You should be able to prise the cover wide enough to get the old one out / new one in without removing anything else.

If you are thinking about fitting anything other than standard don't bother. I fitted a K&N and it messed up the idle (I suspect if caused other running probs as well).
Old 20 March 2006, 03:13 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

I've just ran outside and had another look at my airbox. I've attached a small pic of my engine bay and i assume i'm correctly thinking that the air box is above the abs pump and drivers head lamp.

Not sure if you can see the aforementioned pipe running over into the top of the block , thats attached to the air box with yet more awkward to reach bolts.

Couldn't see one clip on there at all
Old 20 March 2006, 03:19 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

its that old

if you look at the left side there is square box there, inside is your filter, remove bolts/clips and lift it up and to the side, remove filter and put in new one, assemble and job done
Old 20 March 2006, 03:47 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Yeah she's a low miler dinosaur lol

I'll have a crack at this, if i'm correct then the theory is i need only do four bolts on the air box and with a little clever manouvering get the old filter out and new one in without needing to worry about the pipe on the airbox leading to manifold.

Hopefully that pipe wont obscure bolts too much!

Old 20 March 2006, 04:01 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

It wont m8

its flexible and will give in when you put it aside, meant to be fairly easy to get to the filter and replace

good luck