Notices

leaking boost

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 06:08 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking boost

Yesterday as i was accelerating it sounded like the car was leaking boost which was backed up by the car not going as quick as usual. As soon as I got home the first thing I did was change my baileys dump valve for the original one and it still is leaking boost.
After inspecting all the pipes they seem ok but i noticed that there was only 2 bolts in the pipe that goes onto the bottom of intercooler instead of the 3 and was a slight gap so im thinkin thats where the leak is.
This is where my problem lies though and hopefully im being a bit dim but how do you get a bolt into the hole closest to the turbo? I can get the bolt hand tight but just cant get any tools near it to tighten it up as there is no room at all.
Is there a easy way of doing this or a special tool i need to reach it? Other than that only way i can think of doin it is to get it up on a ramp and try and get to it from underneath.
The car is a UK MY96 turbo
If anyone could shed some light on this no doubt easy problem it would be appreciated
Old 05 March 2006, 11:05 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Can anyone give me some tips on this
I must be doing something wrong cos I just canna seem to get a tool anywhere near this bolt to tighten it
Old 06 March 2006, 11:28 AM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Has anyone removed/replaced the slanted type intercooler themselves, anyone got any tips?
Old 06 March 2006, 11:55 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take the intercooler off, its pretty simple..

Undo the 3 bolts holding the cooler in place, loose the jubilee clips on the inlet pipe and the throttle outlet pipe. Use a large flat head screw driver to persuade the inlet pipe away from the turbo outlet (without damaging the pipe).. You should then be able to pull the intercooler back from the throttle body and with a bit of force pull it away from the turbo. Its a fiddly job but it WILL come out.
Old 06 March 2006, 12:07 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate but i can get the intercooler off with no problems. Im having trouble gettin the pipe back on that goes under the intercooler, is it the turbo pipe?
On mine there are 2 bolts right next to each other on the passenger side of intercooler whioch are really easy to remove or insert and tighten. Im having problems with the 1 bolt on its own closet to turbo. Mine seems to be missing a bolt there which Im guessing is the cause of my leaking boost but im finding it really hard gettin any tools anywhere near this bolt as it seems a bit cramped that side of intercooler.
I was just wondering if there is a easy way of gettin this bolt in, or is there anything you have to remove or what tool to use?
Old 06 March 2006, 01:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

what year of car is this??
are you talking about the black plastic pipe that is connected to the underside of the intercooler and which goes to the turbo (and also with the take of for the dump valve)?
Old 06 March 2006, 01:38 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

You need to fit the pipe when the intercooler is off the car. The pipe is flexible in the middle so you can fit the intercooler and pipe as one piece.

You'll not get that bolt on in a million years with it on the car.
Old 06 March 2006, 03:12 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help lads.
I managed to get in bolt in after lots of swearing. I managed to get it hand tight and then made a little tool out of a socket and allen key and managed to tighten it which has fixed me car a treat now.
Just out of interest i tried to get the pipe out, the one that fixes onto bottom of intercooler and the dump valve fixture comes out of and it seemed really hard to get off, almost to the point of giving up.
For future reference when i need to get intercooler off again do you just keep gently pulling at the turbo pipe until it eventually comes off cos mine was stuck on a treat?
Cheers again for help lads, this place is invaluable to the novice scooby owner
Old 06 March 2006, 03:43 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Blimey you must have no knuckles left lol!
Old 06 March 2006, 04:02 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

No knuckles left, pulled all me hair out and the neighbours aint too pleased with the ammount of swearing but the bolt is in, sorted