Notices

Wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 08:53 PM
MicaLee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegates

"Wastegate flutter is incorrectly named, and a different thing than the thread topic. I know for a fact that if you disconnect the boost control pipe, hence keeping the wastegate permanently shut you still get the flutter. It's the turbo stalling, air from the inlet flowing backward from the inlet pipes out through the air filter."

This was quoted a while ago when i was looking at wastegate chatter. Can this be confirmed as working by disconnecting the boost control pipe?

Old 28 February 2006, 09:34 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well keeping the wastegate shut isn't exactly a great idea unless you know what you're doing and have a fairly good idea of how a turbo works. And if you're asking the question...

But yes, if you take the pipe off the actuator, then it simply does nothing, therefore it cannot 'actuate' (move) the arm, meaning the wastegate stays closed.

I've never heard 'wastegate flutter' and I don't know who invented the term. It sounds techy I suppose so it caught on. Perhaps there is such a phenomenon where the wastegate rapidly opens and closes but it doesn't make any kind of noise AFAIK.

The noise that people THINK is 'wastegate flutter' is compressor stall. It is exactly what the phrase suggests - the compressor stalling or slowing down because of a trapped boost charge between the throttle plate and the blades of the compressor. Hence why we have dump valves, to release this trapped charge either back into the inlet tract before the turbo (recirculating) or to atmosphere (atmospheric / VTA).

Best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a twittering bird, quickly falling in pitch as the compressor slows down. When you think about it, there's no way an opening and closing wastegate could ever make such a sound.
Old 04 May 2006, 12:29 PM
davidwilson11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some info is possible guys,

I have just purchased a scooby wrx ppp my01 bugeye, I have fitted a new cone air filter and can hear the wastegate. sounds nice, real nice. How can i make this sound louder if at all possible. will an actuator do the job and if so what effect will it have on the engine map?