Clutch rattle gone after change of headers

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2006, 12:06 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch rattle gone after change of headers

As the title.

Had a rattly clutch. When I started the car from cold or pulled away in first the clutch would rattle like hell so I presumed it was the release bearing.

Anyway, had a new set of headers fitted yesterday and the rattle has gone .

I've spoken to the mechanic who can't understand it. Any suggestions?

Cheers fellas

J
Old 11 February 2006, 12:11 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
As the title.

Had a rattly clutch. When I started the car from cold or pulled away in first the clutch would rattle like hell so I presumed it was the release bearing.

Anyway, had a new set of headers fitted yesterday and the rattle has gone .

I've spoken to the mechanic who can't understand it. Any suggestions?

Cheers fellas

J
Proberbly tin covers on headers??
Old 11 February 2006, 12:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Proberbly tin covers on headers??
Nope, had 4-1 wrapped headers before which started blowing after a trackday, hence the replacement.

It was a proper defined rattle through the clutch peddle. Very odd
Old 11 February 2006, 12:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Could it have been that the previous headers were fowling somewhere which was only apparent at low revs? The replacements are Harveys ported OE efforts (with which I'm very impressed by the way). Perhaps that's the reason.
Old 11 February 2006, 12:50 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Could it have been that the previous headers were fowling somewhere which was only apparent at low revs? The replacements are Harveys ported OE efforts (with which I'm very impressed by the way). Perhaps that's the reason.
Could be as changing headers should not affect clutch. Do the ported ones make much difference? thinking of doing mine soon as my ra is well into the 4000s before picking up.
Old 11 February 2006, 06:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Could be as changing headers should not affect clutch. Do the ported ones make much difference? thinking of doing mine soon as my ra is well into the 4000s before picking up.
vf29 turbo, FMIC. Turbo comes in at about 3-3.5k. Does seem to pick up earlier then the semi equal length 4-1 headers I had on before.
This is Harveys cut/paste info that he mailed me -

"Until recently I just ported the headers and the standard uppipe and everybody has raved about the results. Andy F did independant tests and my ported headers got to within 5 bhp of the best tubular headers he used but my advantage was the early spool from the ported OE whereas the tubular were 350-400 rpm later which is quite a big difference in road driveability. I did notice that some people with OE turbos were fitting 50 or 52 mm uppipes on the OE ported headers in the mistaken belief that the OE uppipe was a major constraint. Unfortunately for them the large diameter uppipe slugged spool and detracted from some of the benefits of my porting.
I then started examining the gas flow in the ported headers which is designed to accelerate from each runner. 2 and 4 cylinders come together, go through a cross pipe (accross the front of the engine) and join 1 and 3 cylinders at the collector. For bigger power applications I now open out the flow from the collector to the uppipe but at this point the OE uppipe becomes inadequate hence my replacement, purpose designed for best flow after various experiments as to the optimum diameter. The uppipe also benefits from a slip joint and is made from high quality stainless steel.
It is all very interesting stuff and the special uppipe will be of interest to those pushing for maximum power from their modifications with TD05 or VF28 type turbos or above. There would be no point in doing this with a TD04.
I hope this explanation is of interest to you."

HTH

James
Old 11 February 2006, 06:46 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

vf29 turbo, FMIC. Turbo comes in at about 3-3.5k. Does seem to pick up earlier then the semi equal length 4-1 headers I had on before.
This is Harveys cut/paste info that he mailed me -

"Until recently I just ported the headers and the standard uppipe and everybody has raved about the results. Andy F did independant tests and my ported headers got to within 5 bhp of the best tubular headers he used but my advantage was the early spool from the ported OE whereas the tubular were 350-400 rpm later which is quite a big difference in road driveability. I did notice that some people with OE turbos were fitting 50 or 52 mm uppipes on the OE ported headers in the mistaken belief that the OE uppipe was a major constraint. Unfortunately for them the large diameter uppipe slugged spool and detracted from some of the benefits of my porting.
I then started examining the gas flow in the ported headers which is designed to accelerate from each runner. 2 and 4 cylinders come together, go through a cross pipe (accross the front of the engine) and join 1 and 3 cylinders at the collector. For bigger power applications I now open out the flow from the collector to the uppipe but at this point the OE uppipe becomes inadequate hence my replacement, purpose designed for best flow after various experiments as to the optimum diameter. The uppipe also benefits from a slip joint and is made from high quality stainless steel.
It is all very interesting stuff and the special uppipe will be of interest to those pushing for maximum power from their modifications with TD05 or VF28 type turbos or above. There would be no point in doing this with a TD04.
I hope this explanation is of interest to you."

HTH

James
Cheers mate