Notices

APS cold air induction kit new age WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2006, 07:23 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question APS cold air induction kit new age WRX

Are there any real gains to be had by fitting the above over a standard newage air box with a K&N panel filter?
I should say that this would be part of a package to include an APS turbo APS top mount STI pink injectors ported headers full de-cat walbro pump and of course a RE-map.
opinions please.
kev
Old 10 February 2006, 08:59 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Are there any real gains to be had by fitting the above over a standard newage air box with a K&N panel filter?
I should say that this would be part of a package to include an APS turbo APS top mount STI pink injectors ported headers full de-cat walbro pump and of course a RE-map.
opinions please.
kev
Hi Kev,

I've just been down a similar route myself. It's all on the following thread:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=473826

Good luck
Steve
Old 11 February 2006, 11:11 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting steve, i take it your pleased with the results, what i really wanted to know is if its worth changing the o/e air box to the APS cold air kit as all the other stuff is going on anyway?
Also got the sti scoop, undertray and air splitter to go on as well.
Old 11 February 2006, 07:30 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I think a decent panel filter would suffice for 350bhp ish. The two I keep hearing about are the 'green' one and the STI branded one. The panel filter is fed from outside cold air as is the one that goes in the wing. It's only the ones that have a cone in the engine bay that can pull in warm air. There's pros and cons to all of this. I'm happy with the solution I have, and others are happy with different induction methods. I will say that the CAI in the wing will enable you to hear the induction 'whoosh' during operation of the turbo, where the panel one probably won't. It's a curious noise. Not sure what to make of it yet, but I'm used to it now I've driven with it a few days.
Old 11 February 2006, 08:40 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I,ll have to speak to Paul at zen as he's doing the mapping after API's done all the fitting.
Steve are you pleased with the results and the way the car drives or is there anything you would have done differently?
kev
Old 12 February 2006, 09:13 AM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Might be an idea to talk to Paul first as he's in a much better position to know than I am.

The only thing I'm having to re-learn is to have the car in a higher than normal gear when 'pressing on' otherwise I'm not on boost to provide power out of the bends. It may just be me though as before the Impreza I was used to driving a V8 TVR which obviously has different power delivery characteristics with more low down grunt but less top end. Other than that, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Old 12 February 2006, 03:02 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
Might be an idea to talk to Paul first as he's in a much better position to know than I am.

The only thing I'm having to re-learn is to have the car in a higher than normal gear when 'pressing on' otherwise I'm not on boost to provide power out of the bends. It may just be me though as before the Impreza I was used to driving a V8 TVR which obviously has different power delivery characteristics with more low down grunt but less top end. Other than that, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Did you mean lower gear Steve
I'm hoping to keep and hpefully improve the drivability that i have at the moment, power delivery at the low to mid range is more important to me than all at the top end.
I've taken the time to try and get it right so i'm hoping that it all works out, i've not long to wait now
kev