Notices

Advise needed on TMIC's and downpipes..

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 06:13 PM
BIGCHU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise needed on TMIC's and downpipes..

Hi Guys woundered if anyone can help.
Thinking about getting a different d/pipe, not really keen on going the whole decat route. At the min the exhaudt is standard apart from a Prodrive backbox, dont really want to decat the middle or the downpipe.
Been looking at the posts about a "sports Cat downpipe?" Is this really a way of getting it to breath easier whilst keeping in the limits for the MOTS etc?
My car is a MY99 and woundered what to about the downpipe etc, also the car has a PPP ecu and an STI panel filter.
Can anyone shed some light for me?
Also the TMIC, can this be changed for an STI version? is it a: worth doing? and b: benifits and gains?

Any help would be sound !

Cheers

Matt
Old 31 January 2006, 06:48 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd go for the sports cat downpipe and free flowing the rest of the way. No need to worry about emmissions with just one CAT in downpipe. here's some blurb from scoobyworld website, sounds a good option with open neck and sports cat..

We are very pleased to announce our new Ninja Downpipe with Fast flow Sports Cat, for all models of Classic Subaru Impreza Turbo.

This passes UK MOT emissions with just this one sports cat, meaning you can run with this downpipe, a de-cat centre section and any of our rear silencers and still pass MOT / roadside emisssions!

Flow rate is only very slightly lower than that of a de-cat downpipe, due to the high flow design of the sports cat.

Manufactured in 304 stainless steel wth open neck design, narrowing to the standard 2.5" at centre section flange.

Maximum power from your Subaru Impreza AND pass MOT emissions!

Special Introductory offer at just £299.99! whilst stocks last!
Old 31 January 2006, 06:50 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Not much help to your question I suppose thinking about it, but it's something I was considering and I'd also be interested to hear of the exact performance difference between de-cat downpipeand sports cat.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:50 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll pass an MOT on just the centre section cat, so removing the one in the d/p is a no brainer given the performance benefits IMO. Note that if you want it to simply look original, get someone to cut the stock dp open and smash out the cat

Richard