V. Low idle revs from cold

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2006, 02:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V. Low idle revs from cold

Once she's warm the idle's fine, any suggestions

Thanks in advance fellas, I hope you can help.

Regards

J
Old 28 January 2006, 07:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Help please lads, it's doing my head in!

Regards

J
Old 28 January 2006, 08:02 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Hi mate it could be a failing MAF or idle air control valve (coked up!), ive just changed my MAF today (reset ecu aswell!) and started up from cold and revs held at 1500rpm before it was all over the place and started to stall (but tick over was spot on when warmed up) . Although the best time to test my new MAF will be first thing in the morning so im hoping its cured.

Hope that helps alittle,by the way i have a MY94 STI
Old 28 January 2006, 08:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply STI69. I've replaced the MAF since the fault appeared so it may be the Idle Air Control Valve. Where will I find this?

Cheers

J

P.S. The problem you describe is the exact one I have. The scoob's irritating me at the moment - I want to concentrate on power and the chassis for the imminent trackday season (yipee) but have lots of little niggles to attend to. Nevermind

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 January 2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 28 January 2006, 08:22 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Thanks for the reply STI69. I've replaced the MAF since the fault appeared so it may be the Idle Air Control Valve. Where will I find this?

Cheers

J
The Control valve is located next to the throttle body (right hand side looking at the engine),it has a 3 wire plug connected to the magnet which is fixed by 2 screw's.

To remove the valve its best to lift out the I/C and then remove the 4 bolts (10mmspanner) there's no need to remove the water pipes (below valve) just pull back the valve be careful not to split the main gasket and also dont drop the rubber seal which inside the valve (i did bugger to find ).

Then spray inside the valve with brake cleaner (dont remove the magnet because it will alter the tick over,did on mine ).

If you look inside the manifold (where the valve was sited you should see a small disc,remove this with a screw driver (take note which way it comes out because it acts like a non-return valve!) then give that a good spray and a clean up!

Then hopefully that should help

Shame the search function is disabled because there is a step by step guide on here which helped me loads
Old 28 January 2006, 08:28 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti69
The Control valve is located next to the throttle body (right hand side looking at the engine),it has a 3 wire plug connected to the magnet which is fixed by 2 screw's.

To remove the valve its best to lift out the I/C and then remove the 4 bolts (10mmspanner) there's no need to remove the water pipes (below valve) just pull back the valve be careful not to split the main gasket and also dont drop the rubber seal which inside the valve (i did bugger to find ).

Then spray inside the valve with brake cleaner (dont remove the magnet because it will alter the tick over,did on mine ).

If you look inside the manifold (where the valve was sited you should see a small disc,remove this with a screw driver (take note which way it comes out because it acts like a non-return valve!) then give that a good spray and a clean up!

Then hopefully that should help

Shame the search function is disabled because there is a step by step guide on here which helped me loads
Sound as pound my friend. A few hours under the bonnet for me tomorrow then!

Thanks very much mate, I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes

James
Old 28 January 2006, 08:34 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Sound as pound my friend. A few hours under the bonnet for me tomorrow then!

Thanks very much mate, I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes

James
No probs mate,best leave the battery off for a few hours that will clear any fault codes and reset the ECU.

Im gunna take mine for a long spin tomorrow to help the ECU fine tune things