Notices

Been told different things!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2006, 02:14 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been told different things!!!

I have a MY97 wrx import, it was first of facelift and apparently the non mappable ecu!!

Now iv fitted a hayward and scott system on and i have to fit a decat downpipe and k+n cone filter.

Iv been told that i will need to get the ecu remapped for these mods, is it true?

Also been told that the ecu in the car is ok to run 95 RON fuel, is this true also?

Im on the list for the power fc ecu as told this is an option of an ecu thats remappable with the mods i want on.

john
Old 28 January 2006, 02:31 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

If you want to get the best from the full decat and filter change then you will need to have a re-map

The JECS ECU the car has as standard unfortunately can't be re-mapped, a daughter board can be fitted to store new parameters and allow re-mapping of this ecu, but the cost of it including mapping is not much less than the cost of an Apexi Power FC with mapping. The Power FC is really a better upgrade for future proofing.

For the timebeing with a decat and filter you run the risk of running lean so it is advisable to run on super unleaded at the very least if you don't push the car too hard, for a bit of extra protection running octane booster (NF, Millers etc) with super unleaded would be wise.

As to running on 95RON fuel, you would be really asking for trouble. The map burnt into the ECU was designed for higher octane fuel (100RON) than we can get in the UK, the standard ECU does however have the ability to learn and adjust its parameters to suit the conditions that the car is running in, but only to a point, the range of adjustments available to the ECU are on the edge with 97 RON super unleaded, 95 RON is asking too much of it in the long term especially at this time of year when the charge density is greater
Old 28 January 2006, 04:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by rsjohn
I have a MY97 wrx import, it was first of facelift and apparently the non mappable ecu!!

Now iv fitted a hayward and scott system on and i have to fit a decat downpipe and k+n cone filter.

Iv been told that i will need to get the ecu remapped for these mods, is it true?

Also been told that the ecu in the car is ok to run 95 RON fuel, is this true also?

Im on the list for the power fc ecu as told this is an option of an ecu thats remappable with the mods i want on.

john
As the above poster says, Power FC ECU would seem like your best bet.

Running a import on 95RON asking for trouble; running a decatted import on 95RON is asking for trouble sooner! SUL and octane booster till you get a power FC mapped for UK fuel.

All the best,

NS04
Old 28 January 2006, 08:38 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

John, if your going to get a powerFC remapped then its well worth spending a couple of hundred pounds extra before hand.
uprated fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, maybe some 440 injectors, should be at or about 300 - 320 bhp
Andy