Difference between STi and WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 11:31 AM
RedMR2Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between STi and WRX?

Hi there,

Me and the missus are looking at buying a 95/96 Impreza. It seems to me that there are just so many variations of the impreza out there like Jap/UK and different engine outputs etc.

Basically I want one that is well equipped and has one of the fastest engines. We're looking to spend around £4500. From what I've seen it looks like the STi is the one to have, as don't they come with 280bhp as standard? And are all the STi's around 95/96 imports?

Can anyone tell me what hp the WRX's have? I've seen some on autotrader and other places that claim to be around 260/270hp, but the parkers guide tells me that they were all around 220bhp, is this right?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never really had an interest in Impreza's before and now we're looking at buying one I don't even know where to start!

Thanks
Matt
Old 26 January 2006, 12:01 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Wrx's power will vary depending on what ECU they have. Sti's have stronger internals in the engine and therefore have a higher rev limit. If you are serious about getting an STI then make sure it is checked out by a professional before you buy it. To be honest I dont think 4500 will get you a very good STI but with hard searching they are probably out there.

A lot of cars on Autotrader for example have the wrong power outputs mainly due to the owners naivety. They may have read about a similar car (but with mods to it) and thought that they must have the same power.

If you are just going to keep the car as standard or only minor mods (like exhaust//filter) then I personally would get the wrx as you should be able to get a much better example with the money you have than an Sti and you will have fun with it. If you are going to start modding on a serious level then an STI would probably be a better base
Old 26 January 2006, 12:05 PM
RedMR2Turbo
Scooby Newbie

So what money would you expect a half decent STi to go for? Generally, what is the power output of a WRX and what would exhaust/filter/decats/slight boost increase (if it's possible) achieve?
Old 26 January 2006, 12:10 PM
RedMR2Turbo
Scooby Newbie

The sort of car I've been looking for is like the white STi for £4999 on this autotrader page:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH

I dream of white sti's...
Old 26 January 2006, 12:42 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Have a look here for the various models across the years -

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 26 January 2006, 01:04 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

have a look into importing your own.. bit of a risk but will be cheaper.

G.